MOB

Coming in Q1 2020: Gateways to Terror for Call of Cthulhu

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, MiskatonicKnight said:

I like the new direction for the cover, but I have to say: who holds a torch like that? It’s about to burn the guy’s hand off! Also, even in a strong wind (which I don’t believe would be happening in a recently opened tomb), no torch is going to curl over sideways. Maybe it is nitpicking, but I can believe a mummy come to life over the physics of that torch.

The NBA wasn't founded until 1946 but we've seen Indiana Jones' adventures stray into the '40s and '50s.  Who we gotta sacrifice to sign Imhotep, Jr., there?  😉

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 2:01 AM, MiskatonicKnight said:

I like the new direction for the cover, but I have to say: who holds a torch like that? It’s about to burn the guy’s hand off! Also, even in a strong wind (which I don’t believe would be happening in a recently opened tomb), no torch is going to curl over sideways. Maybe it is nitpicking, but I can believe a mummy come to life over the physics of that torch.

I take the flame curling over sideways not as evidence of a strong wind, but as an indication of motion on the part of the adventurer. (Similar to when you move quickly while holding a sparkler.)

On 11/7/2019 at 11:22 AM, Mike M said:

Dead Light has been slightly revised to address a handful of issues in the original, it also has new art. But, you don't have to buy it unless you want to. We felt the the new edition would be more attractive if it came with another scenario. It will be a relatively low price point and still cheaper if you just purchase the PDF. 

Hang on. So if I buy Saturnine Chalice, you'll throw in a copy of Dead Light, revised and with new art?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Hang on. So if I buy Saturnine Chalice, you'll throw in a copy of Dead Light, revised and with new art?

Yes, and a bunch of new scenario seeds concerning road travel. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Joe Kenobi said:

Thanks for pointing out the "glass-half-full" that seems to be so frequently lost on some. No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions. ;)

Edited by klecser
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, klecser said:

No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions. ;)

C’mon @klecser, that is ridiculous hyperbole. All I did was state that I’d be paying for something I already have. Mike’s reply made some good points about why I might want to do that. It’s still a disincentive for me though, as I own and have run Deadlight and have made my own tweaks to it. Chaosium is a company I am fond of and want to do well, and they’re doing a good job of that right now.  That doesn’t mean I have to like, support or buy into everything they do, and that’s fine because we all have different tastes. 

9 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

C’mon @klecser, that is ridiculous hyperbole. All I did was state that I’d be paying for something I already have. 

Except that you really aren't. There are updates (yet to be disclosed), new art, and an added scenario. You don't even know how much it's going to cost. I don't see this as any different than purchasing Masks 7E or Terror Australis. People technically bought something they already had. With new art, an update on text, and some new material. Deadlight was one of the first (the first?) scenarios released for 7E and it is a great scenario that was lacking in the art department.

Are you buying Gateways to Terror in PDF or hard copy? We've had the text of those for a long time.

Edited by klecser
  • Like 1

No, folks, Chaosium is not destroying your life with their decisions.

Yes, this is hyperbole as stated and people will react poorly to it when they feel they were simply commenting or providing feedback. This seems to be your MO, both on YSDC and here. Just because people have opinions and desires which differ from yours or those of Chaosium, does not mean their opinion is wrong or they lack support for the game or Chaosium. You are always banging away about inclusiveness, but that respect doesn't seem to apply to those who have a different opinion than you. You might want to check that.

M

10 hours ago, klecser said:

updates (yet to be disclosed)

Exactly. When I asked the cheeky question I was not aware of what was going to be in it. I repeat, Mike offered reasons why I might want to purchase it that revealed more about it's content.

10 hours ago, klecser said:

Are you buying Gateways to Terror in PDF or hard copy? We've had the text of those for a long time.

Really? I've not got the scenarios, weren't they for Keepers running demo con games? I'm likely to buy the hard volume when it gets into my FLGS. I have in the past bought books that contain scenarios I already have: the  Sandy Petersen collection for example. In that case getting three new scenarios made it still good value. Purchases are value judgements – "Is it worth it for me?" – one new scenario when I have plenty of others yet to run, I'm not sure it holds enough value for me. Me not buying it will hardly ruin my life, nor will it send Chaosium into receivership.

I find it ironic I'm getting bashed here in a thread where (it would seem) people's complaints have got a book cover changed. For the worse IMHO – I think we now have something tropey and derivative instead of something vibrant and modern – but I don't judge books by their cover, so ultimately I'm not that bothered. 

Edited by Cloud64

You're right Cloud, everyone is entitled to their opinion. That doesn't mean they are above criticism. You made a jest, and I jested back. You feel my jest was more harsh. That's fair. My humor trends to hyperbole, and that isn't always well-received on the internet where tone and facial expression aren't available.

To answer your question, you can join Cult of Chaos regardless of whether you intend to run those scenarios outside of your kitchen table. There is a LOT of content there. Drinking from a firehose level.

mdomino, there are other parts of my MO that you may have missed: like helping new players. Feel free to Ignore. You're not forced to read what I write. Heck, I've been ignoring YSDC for months now.

Edited by klecser

6 hours ago, klecser said:

Heck, I've been ignoring YSDC for months now.

YSDC? Oh yes, the forum you were banned from for your behaviour. I remember now.

What's wrong with Dead Light in the current format? It has better cover art than many of the new products, the interior art is better than some of the interior art in newer products too, just in BW. Why not package the other scenario with another new scenario plus the travel scenario seeds so that you have a completely new product to sell? That would surely be more attractive than a Dead Light revision, wouldn't it?

And concerning art and layout in general, isn't it time to revamp the Indesign layout master to replace that old paper and red border that is used in products now? Hasn't it run its course by now?

And this Cult of Chaos that's mentioned in the thread...if I join will I get access to the same scenarios that are included in Gateways to Terror?

The original Deadlight had a high price point ($9.95) and a low page count (24). A lot of its art was actually done in color.

We have no plans to update the general look of our layout at this time.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

We have no plans to update the general look of our layout at this time.

That's such a shame. I was hoping for some bold, new frontiers in 2020, with a great illustrator like Loïc Muzy onboard and that something would have rubbed off from Sans-Détour layout-wise, even if they fell from grace. Their stuff crushed everything, even in BW - it was like playing Nile after Bee-Gees. And like Arnold crushing his bodybuilding rivals in the 70's. Just 100% Beast mode.

Edited by midwinter