New Monograph Submitted - Aces High

MrJealousy

I've just skimmed through this and it looks good....

The description of religions is OK, but is a bit sketchy in places ... the descriptions of Mormons as sitting for an hour in stoney silence doesn't really fit, but I'm a Mormon so I'm probably overly sensitive.

Thanks. Thats nice to hear coming from the RQ Fogey.

I admit that the religion section was hard to write for me. I didn't want to get too bogged down in detail, trying to keep it open and flexible while also trying to high light some of the 'alien' concepts. Its really only supposed to be a guide that gives you the power to find out more if you want to, while also supplying the minimum to role play it.

Mr Jealousy has returned to reality!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got me a collectors edition...

ACES HIGH IN CONTENTIOUS COPYRIGHT COCK UP!

Ok, maybe not quite so dramatic as that, but close never the less.

First Some History...

I actually put pen to paper for Aces High about 15 years ago and the original BRP cover went at the front of the notes. It was based on an album cover by Fields of the Nephilim, Dawnrazor. A band I was heavily into at the time...

Dawnrazor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So after having that as a cover for 15 odd years I completely forgot to revise it when Chaosium accepted the monograph. A stupid, and potentially deadly, mistake on my part.

Luckily someone visitng the Chasoium website had heard of this rather obscure band from the 80's and pointed out the similarities to Charlie. Who sent me an email saying 'Is the cover of Aces High based on blah blah..'. My reply was along the lines of 'AHHHHHHH, shit. Yes.'

So I redrew it.

I like to think that I learnt something rather important from that mistake. The real problem with the original BRP cover is that I ripped off a bands image. Not intentionally, I like the Fields of the Nephilim and wouldn't want to infringe their copyright. But then, Aces High was never originally intended for anything other than personal use. I had just got used to that image at the front of my game...

Luckily the mini print run sold out and I got the chance to correct a real mistake!

I must say that Charlie and Dustin were entirely reasonable with me, considering the possible implications, and didn't pull Aces High all together. However, we are in the unique situation now where the first 50 issues are a 'limited edition contentious copyright print run'.

This cock up was all my fault and I can only say that it was due to my inexperience and enthusiasm to see my project printed by the people I respected.

Well, I've had a pretty good read through and I've got to say I really like it. There's lots of good stuff, but for me the bit that really stands out is the various powers the spirits in the not so natural bestiary have. To me the gods provided are more like really powerful spirits than gods if you see what I mean ( ie not omnipotent and so on ) but the powers section is really good.

I can see lots of people using this not just in Aces High but as a basis for spirit powers in all sorts of settings. It would certainly lend itself to expansion even within Aces High. I would imagine that spirits in the far north might have all sorts of snow and ice related powers, spirits living close to major rivers and estuaries or the ocean might have water related powers. I don't know a lot about Amerindian mythology but I'd be very surprised if such spirits didn't exist

Don't get me wrong, there's lots of other stuff I like as well but that's the bit that really hit the spot for me.

Edited by Agentorange

Looks like mine is one of the limited run versions. :D

I'm still going through the monograph. So far it looks like it will be very valuable to running a wild west Cthulhu game this summer. I'm very impressed by the quality of the monographs in general. This is the first time I've bought printed monographs, and it certainly will not be the last. :thumb:

To me the gods provided are more like really powerful spirits than gods...

A lot of the American Indian mythology is heavily based on falible entities. Even the Great Spirit makes a mess sometimes. While doing the research, I don't remember really coming across anything that god like powers (apart from the Great Spirit). There are heroes and demons and they all have powers but most of them are not overly extreme. So, of course, I had to introduce some! But the overly extreme entities, mostly, also have an opponent of equal power.

The otherworld powers section was fun to write. Most of that was based on American Indian legends too.

I would imagine that spirits in the far north might have all sorts of snow and ice related powers, spirits living close to major rivers and estuaries or the ocean might have water related powers.

Yes, yes, yes! That is exactly right. Aces High could have had a lot more detail here, but I was trying to keep it manageable. Both as a first time writer, and as something to read. Spirits and their powers could quite easily have been a book in itself.

A lot of the American Indian mythology is heavily based on falible entities. Even the Great Spirit makes a mess sometimes. While doing the research, I don't remember really coming across anything that god like powers (apart from the Great Spirit). There are heroes and demons and they all have powers but most of them are not overly extreme. So, of course, I had to introduce some! But the overly extreme entities, mostly, also have an opponent of equal power.

I suspect because we both live in what is broadly a christian culture we tend to think in terms of an all powerful, all knowing deity when the term 'god' is mentioned. But perhaps this definition of a god from dictionary.com is more appropriate in the setting:

"A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshiped by a people,"

Yes, yes, yes! That is exactly right. Aces High could have had a lot more detail here, but I was trying to keep it manageable. Both as a first time writer, and as something to read. Spirits and their powers could quite easily have been a book in itself.

You'd best start typing now then....;)

Edited by Agentorange