RQ Ability Score Questionnaire

GAZZA

Some background: last night, I started a new campaign that will kick off with Six Seasons In Sartar (all we did was generate characters last night though). I loathe random ability score generation with the fury of a thousand flaming stars, so the previous RQG campaign I handed out 32 points total to purchase ability scores with according to the following table (from the 3.5D&D SRD):

• 8: 0 points (free; you can have less than 8 if you like but it doesn't get you more points).
  • 9: 1 point
  • 10: 2 points
  • 11: 3 points
  • 12: 4 points
  • 13: 5 points
  • 14: 6 points
  • 15: 8 points
  • 16: 10 points
  • 17: 13 points
  • 18: 16 points

This time around I decided to do something different. I created a series of questions that each player would answer in turn, with the results ending up that they'd get 8-14 for each of their stats in some order (assuming no ties). This costs 21 points according to the table above; I then handed out 15 more points for customisation purposes. (So they ended up with better stats, but more well rounded ones).

I leave this here in case it is of interest to anyone:

https://tokenskeptic.org/gaz/

If you decide to try it out, a couple of notes:

• Don't use the Back button at any point (you can use the Previous button at the bottom of the page to go back and review or change answers).
  • Don't refresh the page, that will start the whole quiz again.
  • The order of the questions is randomised, as is the order of the choices on each page.

It doesn't store anything - I promise I'm not stealing data or anything nefarious, I just thought it might feasibly be of interest to other GMs or players. If anyone is interested in the questions, or the code, just let me know and I' can supply it (the code was written very quickly rather than for any particular coding standards, as it was tough to think of 35 different questions for my purposes).

The way it works: there are 7 ability scores, and each question has 4 different answers that correspond to 4 of the 7. Therefore (7 down 4) there are 35 questions - every possible combination of 4 out of the 7 ability scores has one question for it. Each choice corresponds to one of the ability scores; they are all tallied up, and then at the end of the process the stat you 'voted for' the most gets a 14, second gets 13, and so on down to 8. (I am simplifying slightly by ignoring ties - the program does properly handle ties, but I doubt anyone not interested in looking at the code needs that level of detail).

If you do use it and have any suggestions or feedback I'm be happy to hear about it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1