Gen Con 2011

Cowboy Duck

First off, thank you to any forum attendees who played in my Gen Con events - every one who played absolutely rocked and proved that BRP can easily handle high adventure. You all made this my best Gen Con experience yet!

As for Chaosium, they had a nicely-sized booth in a highly visible location. Business seemed brisk, especially with the CoC 30th Anniversary Edition and the proofs on Mythic Iceland on hand. Charlie commented on Sunday that it was worth it to come, so I hope to see them again next year.

I played in a Laundry event - and the Laundry RPG won a Silver Ennie (these facts are not related). Several players in my games had either never heard of BRP or never tried it, so I hope we have some new fans in our ranks.

Anyone else have any Chaosium fun at the show?

-Matt

My son and I had a fun time playing in your game, Matt. Thanks for running it!

I picked up Mythic Iceland and from what I have read so far it looks excellent. The Gen Con version is a proof edition so it is still in need of some minor editing. Charlie mentioned they may change the cover art as well. I also asked Charlie about what else they had upcoming for BRP and he did mention they had a hardback screen in the works, similar to the CoC screen.

129/420

My son and I had a fun time playing in your game, Matt. Thanks for running it!

It was a blast having you two there. Kids played in every one of the Dino Day sessions. While all contributed to the fun, I was surprised to see it. One of the fathers finally explained it to me - turns out kids like dinosaurs.

...he did mention they had a hardback screen in the works, similar to the CoC screen.

That is fantastic news! The Coc screen is nice and I am glad to see Chaosium supporting BRP.

Any thoughts on the content of Mythic Iceland?

It's weird - while no big releases or announcements dominated the con, it still felt like one of the better Gen Cons in a few years. The dealer room had more companies than last year and business seemed good depsite most companies having smaller booths. Gamers generally were in good spirits. I chatted a few times with Charlie and Meghan and they seemd pleased, mirroring what I heard form other dealers. It's hard to explain - the con was overall really nice, but nothing sticks out as the ONE aspect that it made it go so swimmingly. Perhaps that's why finding some coverage is hard - so many little things adding up to such a pleasant con experience doesn't make for exciting blog writing.