sanity lost/sacrificed during spell use

I really wish the Keeper Rulesbook had a solid example of the lifecycle of insanity, because understanding exactly how insanity is suppose to work was something I have really struggled with, though I think I finally have it down.  I think.  Anyhow, I have a specific question about it.  When some spells are cast, there is a loss of sanity points.  Do those points lost carry with them the possibility of triggering a bout of insanity?  I can see an argument either way, since unlike being startled by an impossible and horrific experience, perhaps there is some amount of rationalization involved in casting a spell.  Thoughts?

On 9/17/2016 at 8:14 PM, Subversive said:

When some spells are cast, there is a loss of sanity points.  Do those points lost carry with them the possibility of triggering a bout of insanity? 

Since casting spells don't involve Sanity rolls, they don't cause Temporary Insanity (CoC7e p.155: "Temporary Insanity - If an investigator loses 5 or more Sanity points as the result of one Sanity roll..."). They can cause Indefinite or Permanent Insanity though.

• Like 1