Actual Play (sort of): the Annales Salisburgienses (483)

Anno CDLXXXIII:  Cadorio rege Somersetensium pertinaciter argentum suppeditare recusante, Uterpendragon rex Somersetiam invasit et eam vastavit.  tunc Cadorius rex emollitus est et pacem inter Somersetenses et alios Britones confirmavit.

Eo anno, cum ver iniret, Gerontius Godefridusque milites Rodericum comitem ad aulam regis comitabantur, atque pro domino suo, cui multi homines per dolum inimici eius insidiati erant, fortissime pugnaverunt; in qua pugna cecidit Ithel miles gregarius, qui patruus Gerontii fuit.  Quae cum accidissent, Gerontius atque Godefridus ad Cambriam iter fecit ut epistulam daret Tatheo, qui vir sanctissimus doctissimusque apud Ventam ecclesiam fundaverat. Dum in eo loco adsunt, Machuta, puella sanctissima, martyrizata est.

Deinde in exercitu Uterpendragon regis ad Somersetiam perrexit, ubi hoc mirabile eis accidit.  Cum prope paludes Avallonis equitabant, a Merlino pellecti sunt ut gigantem aggrederentur.  Quo occiso, Merlinus eos iussit pugnare cum milite quodam, cui forma erat caerulea.  Itaque contra hunc militem Gerontius Godefridusque certabant, donec ille Merlinum sineret ensem mirificum auferre.

Eo anno matrimonium Roderici comitis Sarisburiae et Helenae, quae filia Gwylon baronis erat, cum honore et reverentia celebratum est.

As I mentioned last time, I switched the order of the Invasion of Summerland (here Somerset) and Passionate Prince adventures (and inserted a version of Sword Lake during the Invasion of Summerland).

If someone wants to inflict this on their players, the first paragraph here would be be canon for 482 according to the Book of Uther — although this version is framed from a pro-Uther perspective that ignores what PKs who make their Intrigue rolls notice.  

The last sentence is also canon,  from The Marriage of Count Roderick for 483.

Edited by Voord 99

Gaudeo, quia sit qui meas nugas legat!

More seriously, your comment got me wondering if eugepae was used in medieval Latin, and I can say that it doesn’t seem to appear in Anglo-Latin, but euge does, and one author, forgivably unaware of the Greek, seems to have decided that there existed a word euge, (-is[?]), n. —  “approval.”  Now that I know about it, I have to throw that in, as I’m working on doing a better job of including medievalisms.

Edited by Voord 99

I have to confess I've never seen eugepae in medieval Latin, but then most of my medieval reading is either philosophy or grimoires, so it wasn't likely to have come up. Generally when I write in Latin, I try to avoid medievalisms (and early-modernisms). The few times I've tried to write a faux-medieval text, I've written it out normally then used find-and-replace to change each AE to E, and made a few other changes if I can remember them. Hec fraus michi sufficit.

Oh, I absolutely can’t be bothered with medieval orthography when doing these.  I’m making a conscious effort to try to incorporate medieval grammar, and I check the vocabulary to make sure that it has actual parallels in medieval texts.  But that’s as far as I’m going to go.  

Even then, I cheat a little with my conceit that the stuff about my PKs is a later addition to the text by a later-medieval author who was decently read in classical texts and was consciously trying to be a bit classicizing.  Because it’s one thing to have kings running around and getting into battles — I can adapt that from actual medieval annals.  It’s quite another to have to worry about how the kind of text that a medieval annal is would express all the crazy things that player characters get up to.  Quicker to write CL with medieval vocabulary and maybe the odd bit of ML grammar here and there when it occurs to me.