Key Codes — ñ, Ñ

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, g33k said:

I cannot find any way to get these marks out of my keyboard:  Alt+n or AltGr+n or Shift+Alt+n all produce the same thing — no character typed

I am no expert (not even a little bit), but I remapped my keyboard years ago after reading Bringhurst’s book on typography — and then promptly forgot how I did it. I am still using X (rather than Wayland) on Ubuntu Studio, so the files are here:

• /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us has:

• key <AB06> { [ n, N ] };

At /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/gb (which gives deviations from the US set-up), I have:

• key <AB06> { [ n, N, ntilde, Ntilde ] };

So we conclude that the additional values account for both the AltGr+n and the AltGr+Shift+n behaviour. (I guess even setting AltGr as the modifier is defined somewhere!)

I have no idea whether Chrome OS uses those old X11 files. None at all. But I take it you don’t really need to type a lot of ntildes, do you, señor?

Edited by mfbrandi

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

10 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

I am no expert, but I remapped my keyboard years ago after reading Bringhurst’s book on typography. I am still using X (rather than Wayland) on Ubuntu Studio, so the files are here:

• /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/

/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/us has:

• key<AB06> {    [      n,    N        ]    };

I used to do a reasonably-high degree of customizing my environment.
At a certain point, I mostly abandoned that; it had become time-sink of more time-spent-customizing than time-saved-by-customizations... pure coolth (and/or pretties) wasn't ever much motivation.

Now, it's most just ergonomics:  dark-mode with maximally-readable fonts, very-visible mouse/cursor, etc.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

• mfbrandi changed the title to Key Codes — ñ, Ñ
23 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

... But I take it you don’t really need to type a lot of ntildes, do you, señor?

'taint Murican, now, izzit?

C'es ne pas un .sig

1 minute ago, g33k said:

it’s most just ergonomics

Same here, really — I needed to be able to easily type en dashes, em dashes, ellipses, and a few other things, and to be able to ditch smart quotes and manually type ‘’ and “”.

Some things I can never seem to remember, like å (AltGr+r, a)!

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

25 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

... I have no idea whether Chrome OS uses those old X11 files. None at all ...

ChromeOS used to use X11, but the features using it have been EOL'ed out some years back; I expect only very-old Chromebooks will be using it now.

A quick Google finds "X11 is no longer used on any machines and X11 for chromeos will soon be removed entirely" reported as of May of 2017.

• Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig