Optional Aging Rules

Paul_Va

I would liked to have seen a Traveller-style aging system in Basic Roleplaying. I've never seen a game that does character creation so well, and I really like that characters have to gamble that something bad will not happen in order to obtain more experience. Has anyone come across an optional rule setting for BRP that will allow this kind of character generation?

You can follow me on Google+ here: https://www.google.com/+PaulVasquezE

RuneQuest 6 has half page rules for ageing. There are five Age Bands from Early Middle Age (40-49 for humans) to Dotage (90+). As characters pass into new bands, they must make both Endurance and Willpower checks that get more difficult by band. Failure means they lose 1d3 in a characteristic.

So it is a rather simple system and it only affects characteristics.

Actually, in Legend there is a similiar, but a little bit more complicated system. You roll the Skill checks every year in stead of just when entering the "age band" and negative modifiers for "life experience" such as Disease or Insanity. And you only lose 1d2 / missed roll.

If you don't have Legend yet, you should get it. After all, the PDF is only USD 1.00: Legend - Mongoose | Legend | DriveThruRPG.com

I would liked to have seen a Traveller-style aging system in Basic Roleplaying. I've never seen a game that does character creation so well, and I really like that characters have to gamble that something bad will not happen in order to obtain more experience. Has anyone come across an optional rule setting for BRP that will allow this kind of character generation?

There is a Traveller to BRP conversion here that includes rules for Traveller style Life Path chargen. It just uses the Traveller "classes" as converted over. If you want to adapt it to a different setting , you will have to tweak it to fit.

http://www.soltakss.com/rq_scifi.doc

The thread is here:

Sci-Fi

Ian