D20-Style Death

Link6746

[Damage and Bleeding Based Death]

[Terms of Use]

This Material is free to use for both home use, and monograph authors, and is my contribution to BRP's Community.

Distribution Requirements (Home Use): This material must be distributed as a download in it's complete, final form, and as a PDF, only. Each website which wishes to host this material must

apply to me (with the exception of BRP Central). If I do not respond, in 1 (one) year, the material may be posted on your website in accordance with Home Use distribution requirements.

Distribution Requirements (For Monograph Authors and authors of any BRP-Compatible materials): You have immediate and complete access to this subsystem, including alterations. However,

both myself and any known direct contributors to the project must be credited in the acknowledgements section of your monograph or other Book/Project, and you may NOT copyright or trademark

any part of these materials (Belonging to this subsystem) if the subsystem is used. If these rules (belonging to this subsystem) are used to inspire your own system that works differently enough (30% or more difference in mechanics or feel)

[Damage and Bleeding Based Death System Core]

* After reaching 0 HP, tally total HP into the negative.

* If it does not reach the Threshold Sub-Option's specific amount of negative HP, roll Stamina (Hard). Success indicates that you are merely staggered, and thus may move your Staggered Sub-Optional Move Speed and do non-taxing actions (taxing means mental OR physical). Failure indicates unconsciousness and bleeding

*while unconscious and bleeding, 1d3 damage per round is taken. Depending on the Stabilization Sub-Option and the circumstances, you may be able to make an additional Stamina (Hard) check to avoid further bleeding.

[Damage and Bleeding Based Death System: Threshold Sub-Options]

* Static: the death threshold is -5 HP

*Dynamic: 1/2 of max HP is used. If this is used, remember that D20 Style campaigns that center around more capable heroes and longer, less deadly combats use full CON+SIZ for HP, while any other campaign styles should use CON+SIZ/2

[D20 Style Death System: Stabilization Sub-Options]

*Common Traits: 1d3 damage a round bleeding penalty. Stabilization does not mean that the character is conscious, only positive (above zero) HP means that, unless a stamina (Hard) check is made upon stabilization. If this check is made, they are still staggered until they have 1 or more HP.

*By Round: Stabilization checks are made every round regardless of circumstances. Bandages and healing spells automatically stabilize.

*True Bleeding: Use External Bleeding rules if no special successes or critical successes were dealt. If a special success was dealt, Internal bleeding lasts for 2d4 rounds after bandaging the incapacitated character. If a critical success was dealt, it lasts until the character dies or a healing power is used. Under both circumstances this bleeding continues to apply until it otherwise would not if the character is brought to positive hit points (over zero).

*External Bleeding: If the character is bandaged, damage to them from bleeding is reduced by 2 points that round, and the character is stabilized but unconscious the next round. Healing powers immediately stabilize the character.

*Internal Bleeding: Bleeding continues until a healing power is used on the character. Bandaging heals 1d3+1 HP, which may be bled out. If brought back to positive hitpoints, the character is fully active but continues to bleed.

[Damage and Bleeding based Death System: Staggered Movement Sub-Options]

*Static: May move 2 meters

*Random: May move 1d3 meters

*Stat-Based: May move 1/4th move speed if not acting, and 1 meter if acting.

[Notes:]

Is based on Fortitude saves for dying characters to stabilize in NWN, mixed with the static 05% chance in PnP D20.

I will be looking forward to learning what people use and what they don't, so try to tell me what you think should be the standard in further posts, even maybe clarify existing bits and pieces or rewrite them to add new options or change existing ones as necessary.

Reasoning was that I didn't like the death system in BRP by default (a static end of round death at zero).

[Acknowledgements]

Gary Gygax: Invented DnD, and was a nerd before it was cool.

Wizards of the Coast: Altered DnD to it's flawed 3.0 and 3.5 versions, which were my first experiences with Pen and Paper. Released 4.0, which I boycotted early by knowledge of facts.

Bioware: Neverwinter Nights (Where I got the Fort Save thing), which drew me into PnP like a fly to honey. DnD may have been my first, but I needed a harder drug.

Chaosium: BRP, and my obsession with it. It's basically the system I tried to create on my own (and failed to).

Link6746 (Myself): Almost all of the conversion materials, the license.

YOU, for having read through this.

Edited by Link6746