Day 2 Surveyors

I'm getting ready to run Episode 1.  I had a question about what you did to keep the players in the Surveyor group involved on Day 2.  The interviewers are having a ball an collecting stories - and they only thing that the scenario offers Group 2 is the possibility of an arrowhead.  Should this be used as more character development between the PCs and NPCs? Is there anything that you did special to not bore that group (I will likely have more in the Surveyor Group than the Interviewers)?

I made them miserable.  I had them dig and get dirty and sweaty and thirsty.  Then I'd switch back to the Folklore group and have them drink some iced lemonade on a porch. You might have them take rock/soil samples and have it labeled and also check the compass and map and coordinates in preparation for when they return with their samples.  I had less geologists in my group, more folklorists.  If the PCs don't know the NPCs yet, I'd use the opportunity for interaction as they talk about their interests and such.  That way the PCs can know the NPCs more and notice the differences when they return to MU in Episode 2.  You can also hint at Pasquallium, maybe not by name, but maybe you can have one of the NPCs know Prof Learmonth and the NPC is there to search for the unusual ore with a specific sheen, but the NPC has no idea the unusual properties of the mineral.  That NPC might mention it in a coy way and have the PCs lure the info out of him / her.  That info won't affect the game too much because in Episode 2, the NPC geologists do meet with Prof Learmonth about the Pasquallium.

• Like 2