Differences between power systems

*IF* You are familiar with the 'Magic World' portion of Worlds of Wonder, 'Magic' is drawn from there. Each "Magic" spell is treated as a skill. They IMHO are much more D&D style zap-bang effects.

"Sorcery' is based on the 'Elric/Stormbringer' magic system. Each spell has automatic success, but less direct effect.

Hope that helps.

Grey

At Play in the Fields of the Fnord

*IF* You are familiar with the 'Magic World' portion of Worlds of Wonder, 'Magic' is drawn from there. Each "Magic" spell is treated as a skill. They IMHO are much more D&D style zap-bang effects.

"Sorcery' is based on the 'Elric/Stormbringer' magic system. Each spell has automatic success, but less direct effect.

Hope that helps.

Grey

Not that much cause the only BRP systems I Know are CoC and Nephilim.

"Fluff" being setting information, the BRP book (because it's generic) doesn't put a lot of spin on where the magical power comes from. That's pretty dependent on the setting.

In Call of Cthulhu, spells were like Spirit Magic in RQ's 2nd edition except they had other setting-specific requirements (like SAN and / or POW costs) in addition to Magic Points.

Spells in BRP are skill-based (as mentioned before). So, if you have Incinerate Peasant 80%, you have to succeed at that skill roll in addition to any other requirements mentioned in the spell's description before the farmer working your land becomes a blazing symbol of your displeasure...

The spell-system in the BRP book is called "Sorcery" to distinguish it from "Psychic Powers" and "Super Powers".

I hope this helps --

Emerging from my Dark Age...