Canis Mysterium

JohnnyDollar

Hey folks, just a disclaimer, this post will have spoilers for this scenario.

I run a gaming club at the local library for the middle school's enrichment program.  We have a few members at the ages of 12-16.  Currently, we are running D&D, and more specifically, the Adventurer's League material.  Most of the kids only know about D&D and I want to introduce them, slowly, to other systems.  I became a member of the Cult of Chaos and plan to run those scenarios with them, but first I was going to run Canis Mysterium because it is an awesome introduction scenario!

Does anyone here have experience with that scenario?  My question about it pertains to the secret alter that the Ghoul and Tobias Kurtz has.  I was a tad hazy on the conclusion.  I understand that if Tobias and the Ghoul are defeated (arrested, killed, etc.) and the alter is not found that the ritual may go off?  And if Tobias and the Ghoul escape, the return to the alter and perform the ritual?  The part I am most hazy about is that if the investigators find the alter and disrupt the materials, it states the ritual cannot be completed, but then it mentions that if Tobias and company escape they can pull it off summoning the undead.

Perhaps I am being to analytical?  Or does the scenario seem to push for the investigators learning that the town of Coldwater Falls suffers a horrible fate to the hungry undead?