A Time to Harvest - Reccomended Playgroup size?

How many players did your 'A Time to Harvest' campaign have?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Number of players

• 6+

Fairly new to the Cult, and looking to ultimately run A Time to Harvest for my group within the next few weeks, but despite best efforts I cannot seem to find a recommended player count mentioned at all. I have at least three players that are onboard for an extensive campaign such as this, but worry I may need a fourth. 

How many players did you have? Do you feel it was too many or too little?

I started with 6 (5 new to CoC 7th),went down to 4 (lost two players permanently by end of Ep 2), and I'm at 5 now (added one new veteran CoC player Ep 3).  But due to random life issues and scheduling, I generally get 4 to 5 players showing up.

I think the sweet spot is 4 consistent players.  If there are no shows, then you'll need to add extra players to fill the roster.

21 hours ago, Kyrral said:

How many players did you have? Do you feel it was too many or too little?

Balance is not a big consideration in CoC, so group dynamics and play-time is more of a factor. I do not recommend going above 5 players in CoC (including Harvest), even for experienced GM's. For newer GM's I recommend starting with 3 players and working up to 4 (which is often where each player will get the most enjoyment).

Having not finished going through all of harvest yet, my concern was that there may be parts next to impossible without a bodycount, and I try not to saturate the investigative party with NPCs. The Edge of Darkness, for example, calls for at least four for a reasonable chance at completing the ritual, but it could fairly easily be altered to support less now that I'm thinking about it.

I have three players on-board. I have about 6 players in my "pool" of players, but only three that I think will take serious enough to commit to a campaign like this. I think ultimately I'm going to run with those three plus whoever can make it, then add and remove characters as needed. That way if nothing else, I have a strong core group. Thanks for the advice.