Episode 3: Abelard Library Suggestions

We've got round to episode 3, and there are 2 Investigators who are heavily injured (down to last HP for 1), so they will be held at Mr Abelard's pleasure for some weeks to come. Of course, there are the NPCs to interact with, but there is a large room put aside just for a library by Mr Abelard. Knowing his research preferences, there will of course be large sections for geology, chemistry and engineering, however apart from his Diary, did you gusy put in any other mythos/occult tomes?

I have no issue with giving Investigators access to tomes, as in reality, when they pass a mythos check with a skill less than 10%, they deserve all the information they can get on what is about to eat them! And this seems like a great period of down time for them to get in some light reading.

FYI, in this game, the players pre-warned Dr Armitage about the possibility of an attack, so the mythos books from the Orne library are safe in his possession, and have not been repossessed by FOC investigators.

Edited by Sasori
  • 2 weeks later...

For inspiration, I went back to the Whisperer in Darkness to see which tomes were specifically mentioned in the text. Of course, HPL only mentions the Necronomicon, as all his best protagonists have read that book, and Wilmarth is no exception. I don't think I'll be giving my players access to that straight away, not even with Abelard's riches to buy a copy.

The text does also mention: 

It’s from N’kai that frightful Tsathoggua came—you know, the amorphous, toad-like god-creature mentioned in the Pnakotic Manuscripts and the Necronomicon and the Commoriom myth-cycle preserved by the Atlantean high-priest Klarkash-Ton.

so maybe I'll drop a version of the Pnakotic Manuscripts for them to read over. I feel they need a little more SAN shaking, as they gained more then they had ever lost at the end of the last chapter (killing Agents at 1D4 SAN back each was quite a lot for them to get back, and the loses up to that point are actually quite limited).