My players didn't care for the 1204 optional scenario.  Got bored by the Dreamlands Express and haven't returned to it.  Dream Zagreb was atmospheric to read, but when I ran it, it wasn't that interesting.  330 was ok.  

They did like the 1893 Red Fez scenario a lot.  So, good choice in picking that one to run.

• 4 weeks later...

In a similar vein to BRF as a prequel, we're going to be trying something different with HotOE when I run it next month.  The gaming group and I all like the BBC Blackadder series, and while watching an episode the other day, I was thinking it might be interesting to run the various 'optional' encounters in chronological order, starting with the Roman one, up through Middle Ages, then Gaslight, and finally the actual OE adventurer itself, with the players portraying various members of their same long family line from one to the next.

If they can recall stuff from the earlier adventures, and can apply that to later adventures, I'm fine with that -- a kind of a 'genetic memory' as it were, from their family line lurking deep within their blood.  I think it'll be interesting, but I just need to make sure none of the revelations in the optional scenarios will give away anything major in the main one (or if it will, to obfuscate it enough so that it doesn't reveal too many secrets).

(Also, just as a suggestion to the authors for later use -- from an organizational/operational standpoint, I feel like it would have better to have all the optional scenarios like those separated out into their own standalone book, as opposed to interspersed all around, across and within the main campaign itself.)