Sorcery

Arch0n

After six sessions, we're having some entanglements with sorcery. Specifically, with Undo Sorcery and Refutation.

How does the timing of those spells work? For instance:

1. With INT 18, on Turn 1, I cast Flames of the Sun. It takes effect at Powers Phase INT rank 18, on Turn 2.

2. My opponent, with INT 17, starts casting Undo Sorcery on my Flames of the Sun.

So when do I cast Refutation? How long does it take to cast?

a) Do I cast it immediately? If so, can I do anything else that turn? What if I've already started a spell?

B) Do I cast it at INT 18 on Turn 3? If so, is it instant, or would it then refute in Turn 4?

Can one "hold" sorcery? Delay from INT into DEX?

Any advice on how best to blend INT, DEX, power, combat together?

Well, no feedback. I'm ditching the rules as written and substituting the following instead.

Casting Sorcery Spells

A sorcery spell is cast during your DEX rank in the combat round. Each sorcery spell takes one full combat round of concentration to cast. Successfully casting a spell requires an Easy Luck roll. To avoid the risk of a fumble, the caster may simply take a standard result without rolling if desired.

A sorcery spell may be cast more quickly, if desired. This is known as fast-casting. A fast-cast spell takes a number of DEX ranks equal to its magnitude of concentration to cast. Successfully fast-casting a spell requires a Luck roll.

A sorcery spell may also be cast as a reaction to another spell. This is known as counter-casting. Successfully counter-casting a sorcery spell requires a Difficult Luck roll. A counter-cast is as distracting as a parry or dodge, and prior parry, dodge, or counter-casts during the turn will reduce the chances by a cumulative 30% each, and a character may only make one reaction action in any given DEX rank.

That puts Undo Sorcery and Refutation into play nicely and parallels the combat system.

After six sessions, we're having some entanglements with sorcery. Specifically, with Undo Sorcery and Refutation.

How does the timing of those spells work? For instance:

1. With INT 18, on Turn 1, I cast Flames of the Sun. It takes effect at Powers Phase INT rank 18, on Turn 2.

2. My opponent, with INT 17, starts casting Undo Sorcery on my Flames of the Sun.

a) Do I cast it immediately? If so, can I do anything else that turn? What if I've already started a spell?

B) Do I cast it at INT 18 on Turn 3? If so, is it instant, or would it then refute in Turn 4?

My question is, how can your opponent know that you are casting a particular spell? Does he recognize the words you are mumbling, the way you hold your staff, etc.? I just have an issue with an instant spellbreaker, because of how Intent is supposed to be based off what the character knows, not the player.

I do like the Refutation = parry/dodge though. I'm not sure about the Difficult label is necessary, but seems an adequate fix, given the extended lengths of time, usually employed by sorcerers.

Here's how we handle that issue...

Recognizing Spells: A sorcerer automatically recognizes any spell cast that he has in his grimoire. If seeking to recognize a spell he does not know, the sorcerer must roll against his Language and Higher Mysteries skill. If he succeeds in one roll but not the other, he learns only the type and magnitude of the spell. If the spell is cast in a language he is unfamiliar with, the sorcerer can only learn approximately the type and magnitude of the spell, and must roll a critical on Higher Mysteries to do so.

(Higher Mysteries is our version of "Knowledge: Occult". Magic is spoken in one of four 'languages of power').

It can be cast in the same round as Undo Sorcery during the Powers phase, and will activate at the beginning of the next round.

Either Refutation allows you to break the rule of only being able to cast only one spell per round, or not. I would rule not. However, if you haven't cast a spell yet, or done another action, then you can immediately begin casting Refutation when someone begins casting 'Undo Sorcery'. However, look at the following:

A sorcerer will always recognize the effects of a spell he or she knows when it is cast, regardless of who is casting it.

I would extend this knowledge to knowing what spell is being cast. However, if you don't know 'Undo Sorcery', then your only option is to cast Refutation ahead of time.

The spell will take effect in INT order of the powers phase of the next combat round.

Based on your example, you can't cast Refutation before Undo Sorcery takes effect, because you already cast Flame of the Sun that round. But generally speaking, If you have a lower INT than your opponent, you can't counter Undo Sorcery by casting Refutation in the same round. However, nothing prevents you from casting Refutation ahead of time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Harshax

And don't forget Realism Rule # 1 "If you can do it in real life you should be able to do it in BRP". - Simon Phipp