Question on first aid and medicine skills.

poulpy37

Hi all,

I am new to 7th edition of CoC. (I used to play 5th ed a lot).
I'm a bit confused with first aid and medicine skills when used to heal wounds.

1) When first aid is used to treat a wounded character within one hour, it grants 1 HP.
If this character has been wounded several times (within that hour), losing for example 2 and 3 HP with 2 different wounds in the same fight, may first aid be used several times, one for each wound, at the end of the fight? Or should first aid be used only once at the end of the fight or several times in the middle of the fight (between each wounds)?

2) Same question for medicine, but with 1D3 HP.

3) Are those ways of recovery available for characters who have checked the "major wound" or "dying" conditions? For what I understand, it's not the case for the "dying" ones, but it could work for the "major wound". Of course, I understand well that natural healing (1 HP a day) is not possible anymore when those conditions are checked.

Thanks a lot for help on those topics!

Rodolphe

• Like 1

Here's my take on this.

1. First Aid can only recover 1hp, and can only be used once per victim, subsequent rolls are considered Pushed Rolls. Given that Regular Wounds are a combination of bruising, minor cuts etc. it doesn't matter if is one, two or multiple occurrences from the same encounter - you only get one check. However, if your investigator gets into a scuffle and take 2HP damage, then gets First Aid and recovers 1HP, later that day she falls out of a tree for another 2HP damage, I'd allow another First Aid as they are separate encounters. Use the 'within one hour' as a guide for deciding what's separate. If for example the same investigator fell out of a tree 10 minutes after the scuffle I wouldn't allow two first aid rolls, even if the first one was done before he fall. 

2. Ditto with Medicine.

3. Page 120 describes how First Aid and Medicine work together on Dying investigators, but yes, First Aid gives 1 temporary HP a successful Medicine gives 1D3, and becomes Stabilised. You cannot use First Aid or Medicine again except to support the natural healing process. Healing from Major Wounds requires a weekly CON roll, you do not recover the 1HP per day.

Investigators do not quickly recover from wounds unless resting and receiving treatment.

• Like 1