The Shadow on the Red Moon

Eff

3 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

There's a lot of variables working here. Celestial objects were starting to move around at least* as early as Umath's careening through the Sky, and that's not only pre-Time, that's pre-Storm Age too. By the time of the Storm Age, the sky was turning blue, the stars had come out, and various planets seem to have gotten their current trajectory (I think?) so what Plentonius' reference means depends on when it is supposedly set. 

Or, well, it depends on what purpose Plentonius has for slandering it as well, of course., but that goes without saying.

I think the dynamic is that he sees rising and setting as a less than ideal state of affairs, but he can't neg it too much as Yelm is now slumming it to do this.  Likewise he wants to criticise Sedenya (and the numerous other Moony names) for starting that, but is loath to admit that Yelm's ended up following her example.

Working with Dara Happan ideas of suns and what they meant in the Golden Age, it seems plausible that Plentonius was referring to an object of celestial light that was "supposed" to be stationary above one of the city-states, but then wasn't. I don't recall if the cities are supposed to still have those things by the time he described Sedenya, so I can't comment further.

I think "supposed to" is rather relative.  Dara Happan mythology reads like a series of sighs of disappointment and sad resignation to new, diminished state of things.  Still looking down their noses at other people, mind!

(*There's the possibility of a cyclical Sky during the Green Age as well, but I don't think that's terribly relevant to Plentonius.)

It'd certainly gel with old Greggly idea that "the Dayzatari are mystical materialists", and of an eternal, unchanging sky, which you could mash together with the other mystical idea of mythology as states of consciousness.  I dunno if this idea has much in the way of currency, but if you can rub together two worshippers that might say this we can call it a tradition!

• Like 1