Conflict Questions

Khelbiros

I'm reading through the rules and have some questions about conflicts.

For a one-on-one conflict between one PC and one opposition NPC (or force), if the PC takes a Support action to boost their next round's Roll for Affect, it appears they still get a defense roll if the NPC attacks them in that round (as per the Robin Hood example). So assuming it's a chase conflict, and everyone is rolling Agility [Running], there's little point for a PC to perform a support action to boost their Agility [Running] on the next round, if they  still have to make an opposed Agility [Running] check against the NPC in the current round (even though the NPC counts as the attacker).  Is this correct?

For the conflicts which involve the entire PC group, only one PC can 'lead' or 'Roll for Effect'.  Is there a limit to how many PCs can provide a support action? For example with six PCs, one PC will 'lead'--could the other five provide support actions leading to incredible bonus stacking or just one? (I assume just one.)

I think my group would prefer a situation where they all get do something in an extended conflict, rather than watching a lead PC roll and some other person support in the round. (This is what they're used to in other extended conflict systems such as the D&D4 skill challenges and so forth.)

The rules for Many to Many conflicts advise there should be multiple opposition Resolution Point pools in this case. If so, are there any metrics or rules of thumb for:

• How many individual PC Resolution Point pools should there be for the conflict?
  • How many opposing individual Resolution Point pools should there be per PC?
  • If I had a six PC party, and just wanted a single opposition Resolution Point total, and a single PC Resolution Point total for a conflict, and wanted to give each PC the chance to Roll for Effect or Support each round rather than being a bystander, should I simply multiply the starting RP by the number of PCs involved? Or half?

Let me know your thoughts.

5 hours ago, Khelbiros said:

For a one-on-one conflict between one PC and one opposition NPC (or force),... there's little point for a PC to perform a support action to boost their Agility [Running] on the next round, if they  still have to make an opposed Agility [Running] check against the NPC in the current round (even though the NPC counts as the attacker).

I'm not sure to answer to your question, but I'll try : you are not obliged to use the support action in the same round and can keep it for later on, if it makes sense.

For the conflicts which involve the entire PC group, only one PC can 'lead' or 'Roll for Effect'.  Is there a limit to how many PCs can provide a support action? For example with six PCs, one PC will 'lead'--could the other five provide support actions leading to incredible bonus stacking or just one? (I assume just one.)

I think my group would prefer a situation where they all get do something in an extended conflict, rather than watching a lead PC roll and some other person support in the round. (This is what they're used to in other extended conflict systems such as the D&D4 skill challenges and so forth.)

My understandng is that you can use all supports for one single roll. If the score is very high for this single round, that's fine, but it may be wiser to keep some supports in reserve for subsequent rounds, since you can use a support only once par conflict. You may be running off supports very fast. This is the goal of the Conficts : encourage everyone to participate through supporting, which makes the result less random. It rewards involvement.

Everyone can roll, not only the leader, even if only one single character per round. And the opposition may attack any single character.

• If I had a six PC party, and just wanted a single opposition Resolution Point total, and a single PC Resolution Point total for a conflict, and wanted to give each PC the chance to Roll for Effect or Support each round rather than being a bystander, should I simply multiply the starting RP by the number of PCs involved? Or half?

I would try to use the one-to-one group conflict if possible, since all participants can support or roll for effect and therefore be active. But if you want to use separate RP pools, you may consider that 6 people vs. one foe have it easier compared to 1 vs. 1, so keep the opposing RP as they are, independent from the number of PCs. If the opposition is moderatly difficult for one single character, it is normal that it becomes easier for 6 people. I'd say that the opposing level actualy depends mainly on the narration (do you want to make it hard or not). But I see the point only if you want the characters to have individual consequences. Now in some cases, like for exemple an area enchantment, every single character has to beat his own opposed PR pool. It is just a matter of situation, it depends if you want to make it a group episode or an individual one.

I see the Conflict rule as a flexible tool which you can adapt to the situation, driven by the story.

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

10 hours ago, Zit said:

use a support only once par conflict.

My understanding was that you could use the Support Action multiple times per conflict, provided it was based on a different trait than previously used and different from the Roll for Effect trait. So technically, one lead PC and a party of five PCs with a variety of different traits could buff the leader PC's roll significantly each round (providing they provide sufficient justification of using the Traits and so forth).

Do you agree with this interpretation?