HARP magic for Basic

I have seen an attempt to convert Rolemaster spells to Basic.

Someone has attempted to do the same stuff with HARP ? The tables look easier to integrate with Basic.

Basic should provide: a definition of stunned and bleeding and that's all. (so it's already done)

I think one could leave basically everything untouched and must only:

* map the resistance rolls of HARP to some Basic mechanics.... (a comparison on the resistance table?)

* maybe scale the damage a bit .... x0.5 or x0.75

If someone played HARP ideas on the topic are welcome.

23 minutes ago, Giovanni_Cambria said:

Basic should provide: a definition of stunned and bleeding and that's all. (so it's already done)

I think HARP Stun rules can be directly used in BRP with no modification.

Bleeding and damage in general is problematic in two ways. First because it's not on the same scale as BRP. Second because it does not exactly represent the same thing.

BRP HP represent wounds, while HARP Hits are more akin to "Stun points". It's important with spells that only deal hits and no criticals, for instance.

Power Points are also on an other scale.

Also, there already are systems similar to HARP magic for BRP : RQ Sorcery, BRB Magic, for instance.

One way to circumvent the problem is this: do not use the HARP tables.

Example of conversion guidelines:

1. the critical type determine the type of damage that influence the descriptions of the Narrator and can have some other effects in play.

2. the critical size determine the damage dices: 

tiny => 1d6

small => 1d8

medium => 1d10

large => 2d6

huge => 3d6

3. the RR are mapped this way:

magic =>POW vs POW

stamina => POW vs COS

will => POW vs INT

4. the cost in PP of each spell and enhancement is halved. (round up) 

2 hours ago, Giovanni_Cambria said:

One way to circumvent the problem is this: do not use the HARP tables.

Example of conversion guidelines:

1. the critical type determine the type of damage that influence the descriptions of the Narrator and can have some other effects in play.

2. the critical size determine the damage dices: 

tiny => 1d6

small => 1d8

medium => 1d10

large => 2d6

huge => 3d6

3. the RR are mapped this way:

magic =>POW vs POW

stamina => POW vs COS

will => POW vs INT

4. the cost in PP of each spell and enhancement is halved. (round up) 

1. Sounds logical to me.

2. How would you treat a spell that doesn't use one of the attack tables, but inflicts damage as lost Hit Points ? Obviously, the intent with this kind of spell was to make these non-lethal, as you rarely die from lost HP in HARP.

3. Usually, BRP uses POW as a measure of one's Will (for instance, the Willpower roll is based on POWx5). Even though I understand why it can be frustrating to have 2 saves based on the same characteristics.

4. PP cost is a rather difficult subject to handle, as in BRP MP maximum tends to not vary much during a PC's life (unless you're playing RuneQuest or a game with equivalent POW economy), whereas in HARP it's basically a skill, and tools can boost your maximum too.

I don't remember the details of PP cost in HARP : is there a maximum to the number of points you can spend when casting a spell, and is it based on your spell's skill ?

I also remember some minor details from HARP that I didn't like, like the fact bolts and balls spells were different spells and not variants of the same spell, or that minor spells/cantrips were based on a separate skill. But that's the old MERP/RM speaking here, who loves HARP character development simplicity, but prefers to use MERP combat tables and RM spell lists. 🙂

I don't remember the details of PP cost in HARP : is there a maximum to the number of points you can spend when casting a spell, and is it based on your spell's skill ?

In order to cast any spell, the caster is required to have a num-
ber of ranks in the spell equal to the number of Power Points
that the caster is putting into the spell.

2. How would you treat a spell that doesn't use one of the attack tables, but inflicts damage as lost Hit Points ? Obviously, the intent with this kind of spell was to make these non-lethal, as you rarely die from lost HP in HARP.

half the original spell damage or 1d4/1d6 damage

4. PP cost is a rather difficult subject to handle, as in BRP MP maximum tends to not vary much during a PC's life (unless you're playing RuneQuest or a game with equivalent POW economy), whereas in HARP it's basically a skill, and tools can boost your maximum too.

another possibility is to introduce the Harp skill in the BRP game and call the points obtained Mana Points or Spell Points. A source of magic different from Power Points and handled differently: i.e managed the HARP way.

EDIT: this looks definitely the way to go.

So we could have a new skill called Magical Affinity and a new counter: Mana points.

Where maximum Mana points = value of the skill.

The skill should have, of course, others use like:

* sensing magic in peoples, places or objects.

* see through illusions.

and so on...

Edited by Giovanni_Cambria
  • Like 1