Cost/Prerequisites of Hosting a Tournament?

They're probably somewhere obvious that I'm just missing, but for the life of me I can't find any guidelines about what's actually involved monetarily in being the sponsor of a tournament (aside from the cost of any prizes offered), or what limitations and the like. Like, clearly there's gotta be something, since people aren't generally running weekly tournaments to farm Glory, and seemingly the main difference between a Local and Regional Tournament isn't the noble rank of the person running it but rather them having a bunch of extra money to pour into it.

It's mostly relevant to me because I'm wondering whether it's possible for someone who got an unusually large influx of cash (generous rewards, very successful plunder year, etc) to be able to spend it running one tournament a size bigger than their income/rank would normally allow, to mark a very special occasion or the like. Due to an unusual resolution to the Sauvage changeling plot, one of the PKs is having three of his sons come of age to be knighted in the same year, and since he's come into a fat wad of cash, wants to spend the rest throwing a big tournament in their honor, but we're not sure what the economics on that look like.

Lordly Domains has some guidelines.

Me, I am just considering all of that Conspicuous Consumption. You get the Glory based on how big a tournament you are sponsoring. (If I were feeling really generous, I might give an extra x2 modifier for feasts and tournaments and such, which don't really generate a similar kind of reciprocity as gift-giving does.)

Otherwise, Book of the Manor (p.32) have a clear guidline about all this glorious expenses.

Neighborhood
Cost: £10
Length: 1-2days
Glory for Sponsor:50
Glory each for Melee and Joust Champions: 50

Local

Cost: £50
Number of Entrants: 1,000
Length: 3-5 days
Gloryfor Sponsor: 100
Gloryeach for Melee and Joust Champions: 100
Glory for other Entrants: 10-20

Regional
Cost: £160
Numberof Entrants:2,000
Length: a week or more
Glory for Sponsor:200
Gloryeach for Melee and Joust Champions: 200
Glory for other Entrants:20-30

Regal
Cost: £900
Numberof Entrants:3,000
Length:Two weeks or more
Glory for Sponsor:300
Glory each for Meleeand Joust Champions: 300
Glory for other Entrants:30

17 hours ago, mj6373 said:

ne of the PKs is having three of his sons come of age to be knighted in the same year, and since he's come into a fat wad of cash, wants to spend the rest throwing a big tournament in their honor, but we're not sure what the economics on that look like.

The knighting of the eldest is paid by a special tax. You have to pay for his two brothers, which is very costly (30 £ by knight, according to Book of the Manor, feast included).

• Like 1

He's actually paying for all three, not just two of them! It's his second, fourth, and fifth sons who came of age simultaneously (because the forth was his son that got replaced with a changeling for two Winters and thus aged by 10 years, and the fifth is the changeling itself who he convinced to stay in his family once the aging curse was broken by the Enchantment of Sauvage ending), and he came into a big enough windfall as rewards for both clearing the Sauvage Quest and capturing King Aethelswith for ransom during the Anarchy that he can afford a big event to knight all three of them and have a big Glorious event to honor them before things return roughly to the adventuring status quo.

And thanks for the helpful numbers! I don't own BoM, and I wouldn't have wanted to buy it just for these cost guidelines when I'm replacing the rest of the rules I would have gotten from it with Book of the Estate anyway.

• Like 1