Lowering a Passion

"Reducing a Passion willingly is normally something performed during the Winter Phase (see Chapter 5). It is assumed that the character spends time loudly denouncing his former Passion in public, and acting in every way contrary to the Passion; for instance, when Sir Gareth learned that his brothers had murdered Sir Lamorak, he disassociated himself from them by loudly proclaiming his unhappiness and his dissatisfaction with his family. A Passion can eventually — one Winter Phase at a time — be eliminated (i.e., reduced to a value of 0) in this way." - KAP 5.2, p. 93

A player and I have been discussing this rule. I've maintained that this is in place of the training rules for the Winter Phase, while he asserts that this is not stated anywhere within (which is technically correct).

Do you use this rule? If so, would you have it replace the training during Winter Phase, or allow it to take place alongside it?

KAP 5.2, p. 133 (emphasis mine):
"3. Improve an Attribute, Trait, or Passion: You may raise or lower any one Attribute, Trait, or Passion value by 1 point."

It is clear from the context that RAW is that you spend your Yearly Training to lower the Passion.

However, personally I think that is too harsh on the PK's progression, since it can take a decade to lower a passion this way. At the very least, using the 1d6+1 roll instead would make more sense. I also tend to allow the lowering of a passion when the target of the passion does something that would merit it. I.e. if the liege lord rules in favor of another knight in a court case, that could be grounds for your loyalty/homage to be lowered by 1.

So while I think you are right by RAW, it would be better, IMHO, to allow the player to lower the passion without sacrificing the character's development.

Edited by Morien
  • Helpful 2

1 hour ago, Morien said:

However, personally I think that is too harsh on the PK's progression, since it can take a decade to lower a passion this way. At the very least, using the 1d6+1 roll instead would make more sense.

The rules in Paladin are less harsh; the player can reduce the passion by up to 3 points during the training part of winter instead of only 1 per winter. Which allows them to get the passion down faster and go back to normal leveling within a few years.

• Like 1