DI for Attribute gain

Andrew M

I have seen several references to the use of DI particularly by Rune Lords to increase stats being a problem in RQG. However I have not been able to find the reference in the rules which makes it possible to boost a stat with DI. Could someone explain to me how this is done?

I am starting a game and my players are normally good at optimisation so I would like to find the issue before they do and decide what if anything I need to do about it.

• Like 1

The first thing you need to do is explain to your players that you are not the opposition. Unless you are, but that is not good for the game in long term (or short term for that matter) just the intermediary in a great (it will be great, right) Gloranthan story. Hopefully you are there to get an interactive tale told to you and to your players. RQ is quite good for that, long or short term. If they get it, maybe they will be kinder and work with you to achieve this. Page 272 in the RQ G core rules book, introduces DI but only has this sentence on raising characteristics:

Divine intervention can be used to raise a characteristic by 1 point, but no characteristic can be raised above its normal maximum, as described on page 418.

Their are a few instances (pages 278-281) of DI and cult members in the Cult Section of RQ G. If you have a PDF give it a search for the term for the other specific instances and Shaman notes (pages 356, 357, and 370) on the subject scattered through the tome.

You will want to note page 273 where DI and Rune Lords are introduced. Your first reaction might be to swallow hard, curse loudly and vow that your table will NEVER have such egregious munchkinerry befoul it! I suggest you relax, take a deep breath and realize Rune Lords are meant to be near godly (well, very heroic, maybe) in stats. Jeff Richard has stated in many threads here on BRP that DI for Rune Lords is not broken and that they should have this mighty power in order to better be the mortal representative of their god on the lozenge. Of course many players and GMs have said otherwise, and some very loudly.

Do a search for Divine Intervention to peruse the 15 pages of the well thought out treatises, the rants and raves and well just about everything in between on the subject of DIing for fun, profit and good characteristics and good luck with the game!

Cheers

• Like 3

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

My group and I have been gaming together for 20 years , and met in the 90's , I have no actual worries and anyway I am at least as bad for optimising things as they are! The last RQ game I ran ended up with massivly overpowered characters so I have some idea what a Rune Lord with too much Divine magic is like from RQIII

I had missed the line on p272 and that was what I was looking for, the discussion here I had found but if I still had any hair I would have been tearing it out becasue I could not find were in the rules it was referenced. Thanks for the information