How do fatigue points and ENC work together?

Balduz

Hi I'm new in this forum. I'm starting to appreciate the Chaosium d100 system, I think it's better than other systems, and I hope to write soon a good adventure to play with my friends, but before I have some optional rules that I have to understand better, first of all the fatigue and encumbrance rule.

On page 32 of the BRP core book, it's explained that fatigue points are the result of strenght + constitution, and it's also explained that ENC value affects the fatigue points: how? I've read on other posts and on RuneQuest core book that ENC must be subtracted from maximum fatigue points, is this interpretation correct?

On page 180 there's the explanation of the ENC rule, and it is in this section that I have big problems of interpretation. It's written that ENC is equal to one size for general purposes, but in human scale ENC is equal to 1/6 of size. So which of these equations do I have to use? ENC = size or ENC = 1/6 size?

Another and last question: it's written that a character has a 50% chance of lifting ENC of up to his strenght value x 6 on the resistance table. What does it mean? Does the character have to do a resistance roll every time he has to lift ENC?

These are the rules that I need to understand better, thanks in advance for the answers.

On page 32 of the BRP core book, it's explained that fatigue points are the result of strenght + constitution, and it's also explained that ENC value affects the fatigue points: how? I've read on other posts and on RuneQuest core book that ENC must be subtracted from maximum fatigue points, is this interpretation correct?

Yes.

On page 180 there's the explanation of the ENC rule, and it is in this section that I have big problems of interpretation. It's written that ENC is equal to one size for general purposes, but in human scale ENC is equal to 1/6 of size. So which of these equations do I have to use? ENC = size or ENC = 1/6 size?

The latter. As a rule of thumb, 1 Enc = 1 kilogram, and 1 SIZ = 6 kilograms, so 1 SIZ = 6 Enc

Another and last question: it's written that a character has a 50% chance of lifting ENC of up to his strenght value x 6 on the resistance table. What does it mean? Does the character have to do a resistance roll every time he has to lift ENC?

No. You can usually lift up to 12 x STR and stand still, or lift and carry for a small distance 6 x STR without making any roll. However, in a dangerous and rush situation, the gamemaster could call for a Resistance roll, in which case your chances of lifting STR x6 are exactly 50%.

However, if you are new to BRP, do not use the Fatigue rules. They are a leftover from RQ3 that almost everyone dropped or houseruled. They are a realistic system, but they do not work well in practice, because in a battle with 10+ characters they slow down combat immensely. Use the simplified fatigue system instead (p.32), and have characters roll Stamina or suffer fatigue when they march or fight with Encumbrance above their STR + CON.

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

However, if you are new to BRP, do not use the Fatigue rules. They are a leftover from RQ3 that almost everyone dropped or houseruled. They are a realistic system, but they do not work well in practice, because in a battle with 10+ characters they slow down combat immensely. Use the simplified fatigue system instead (p.32), and have characters roll Stamina or suffer fatigue when they march or fight with Encumbrance above their STR + CON.

uhm, I've read it and I think it's better... it's similar to the new fatigue rule of Rune Quest, with levels of fatigue, but more basic and simplier, isn't it?

• 8 months later...

I had the same questions as the OP, as as far as I can tell, none of answers are contained in the BRP book. The relationship between fatigue and ENC is a mess and not completely explained, unless someone can show me otherwise. Also, the equipment table list "burden" values for armor types and refers you to the optional fatigue rules but nowhere in the optional fatigue rules does it explain how to use them!