Blackwater Creek correction and question

Sam E.

First, the correction.  Sorry if there's another thread for this adventure, the keeper's screen materials, etc.; I searched and couldn't find anything.  This is totally trivial, but just something that you can add to the pile next time something more important is pointed out.  On page 29, the map points out stalagmites and "stalagtites" [sic].  It should be spelled "stalactites."   That's it!  😆

Now on to the question.  My issue is always figuring out how to run adventures for one or two players (pretty much all I can come up with these days).  To that end, I like to keep combat to a minimum.  So for those of you who have run it, was there a lot of unavoidable combat?  I think the biggest concern is location 8, the Carmody Farm.  Even the notes say that combat is "highly likely" ...  

I love Blackwater Creek! Ran it for my usual group a little over a year ago.

I think it's doable with two players, but I also think you're right to wonder. It would leave little margin for mis-steps. I would definitely take the academic track as opposed to the bootleggers track--I ran it the former way, and the emphases of the latter would seem to make combat practically an inevitability.

Regarding Location 8, the Carmody Farm:

Spoiler

My experience is that violence is highly likely, but that combat itself need not be. There is certainly room (in the academic track) for the investigators to flee and simply disengage when things turn violent. My own playgroup only made it to the Carmody Farm after destroying the Mother, so things had gone off the rails there and they didn't engage in any direct combat.

More of an issue might be Location 9,

Spoiler

the Cave. With two or especially one investigator, the Mother is going to attempt to sink her tentacles into them, and it would be quite possible for an investigator to be incapacitated by a bout of madness, then Grabbed and Absorbed by the Mother before they regain their wits. The corruption in general could also prove problematic if a solo investigator or pair are less than cautious--this is true of all investigator groups, but the larger the group, the more likely you are to have someone who plays things a little safer.

It's a strong enough scenario that I would think it's worth attempting with two, but for a solo investigator, Location 9 would need some restructuring--and possibly Location 8 some gimmes granted on Stealth.

• Helpful 1