MP, PP, POW

Striker

I've got some questions on magic points, power points, and POW attribute use, mostly for resistance.  I've been on a long reading binge of MW, BRP, Advanced Sorcery, and The Magic Book.  I think The Magic Book just threw the wrench into this, but here goes.

1. In MW, Magic Points = POW characteristic initially and MP will go down and recover as they power magic spells and recover per the rules.

2. In a forum post I believe regarding the different published works, Magic points = power points when looking at spells that are from different works (The Magic Book vs MW, etc) in usage and recovery.  Power Points will initially be equal to POW and be spent/recover like MP.

3. For a MP:MP or PP:PP resistance roll (not POW:POW) it's the spellcaster's current total MP/PP compared to the target and the target will use as their MP/PP value a number that is equal to POW if not a spellcaster?  

4. If a spellcaster is the target is it their total MP/PP or their POW characteristic?  I think it's the current MP/PP so a wizard being targeted after having used almost all their MP/PP would be easier to beat, but I can see the other way.

Ex:  A sorcerer (POW 18, MP:12 after casting) casts babble (MP:MP resist) on an orc (POW 8).  The resistance would be 12 vs 8 and the wizard needs 70% or less to overcome the orc's resistance.

The BGB uses the generic "power points", Magic World used "magic points" and in both they are an expendable resources used to power spells, with a nominal value equal to the characters POW Characteristic. Permanent points of POW Characteristic CAN be sacrificed fro specific magic effects, but doing so is distinct from expending "magic points" (Magic World) or "power points" (BGB).

12 hours ago, Striker said:

3. For a MP:MP or PP:PP resistance roll (not POW:POW) it's the spellcaster's current total MP/PP compared to the target and the target will use as their MP/PP value a number that is equal to POW if not a spellcaster?  

In Magic World, it depends on the spell description, deliberately so. But generally yes, its current casters personal mp against the targets mp (which is always equal to POW for non-casters). This is why most Sorcerer's have a staff and usually other magic point batteries - so they can cast spells using magic points from other sources than themselves, but over come any resistance with the full magic points...

4. If a spellcaster is the target is it their total MP/PP or their POW characteristic?  I think it's the current MP/PP so a wizard being targeted after having used almost all their MP/PP would be easier to beat, but I can see the other way.

You are correct - see above! Any remotely competent Sorcerer will avoid casting using their own magic points until they have no other option, precisely because they want to keep their personal mp total as high as possible at all times.

Ex:  A sorcerer (POW 18, MP:12 after casting) casts babble (MP:MP resist) on an orc (POW 8).  The resistance would be 12 vs 8 and the wizard needs 70% or less to overcome the orc's resistance.

Yes.

• Like 1