Some questions about the interpretation of Characteristic and the definition of Temporary Insanity

coffeecat

Before entering the main text, I need to apologize to everyone - I am not yet a proficient English user, so if there are grammar or vocabulary errors in the main text, please understand.But anyway,let's look at my questions first.

第37页,我找到一张图表,对前面提到的八个属性提供了具体的解释,都非常清晰实用。但在智力的解释中,我发现了一个奇怪的点。对智能99的原始解释是

报价

99:天才(爱因斯坦、达芬奇、特斯拉等)。人类最大。

,指出人类的最大值是99,这意味着超过它的数字超出了人类的智力。不过这句话下面对智力140的定义,却让我很困惑——

报价
140超越人类的智力(例如古事物,见第14章:怪物,野兽和外星神)。
那么,如果一个人的智力在99到140之间,我们应该如何形容他呢?
另一个类似的问题是人类权力极限的定义,就像这样。
报价
140:超越人类,可能是外星人(例如Yig,见第14章:怪物,野兽和外星神)。

这是否意味着人类力量的上限是139,还是我对这个理解不正确?
第二个问题是关于暂时性精神错乱的定义,原文明确指出:

报价
如果调查员因一次理智滚动而失去 5 点或更多理智点,则表示遭受了足够的情感创伤,守护者必须测试调查员的理智。守护者要求情报(INT)卷...

在这一段中,已经明确说明了其应用的条件 - 在一个理智卷的结果。根据其原文,失去超过此的理智点数不应导致暂时的精神错乱——它们累积到当前理智点数的五分之一,这反过来又会导致无限期的精神错乱。然而,第174页关于哈维阅读《艾邦之书》的例子与前面提到的条件相冲突。

报价
玩家还会被告知书中包含的许多法术。然后她掷出 2D4,哈维失去了 6 分理智点。这更多的是触发暂时精神错乱所需的五分,如果哈维的球员通过情报掷骰,她做到了。

在这个例子中,哈维无疑损失了超过 5 个理性点,但没有进行理智滚动——这不应该导致暂时的精神错乱。但也在例子中,我们看到哈维确实通过了情报卷并变得疯狂,处于暂时的精神错乱状态。
这让我很困惑。这个例子是不正确的,还是暂时疯狂的原始定义不是这样的意思?
希望你能解决我的疑惑。感谢您的阅读。

• Haha 1

Welcome

I've used my browser's translate function and posted it below to aid in repling:

4 minutes ago, coffeecat said:

Before entering the main text, I need to apologize to everyone - I am not yet a proficient English user, so if there are grammar or vocabulary errors in the main text, please understand.But anyway,let's look at my questions first.

On page 37, I found a chart that provides specific explanations for the eight attributes mentioned above, which are very clear and practical. But in the intellectual explanation, I found a strange point. The original interpretation of Smart99 is

, stating that the human maximum is 99, meaning that numbers exceeding it are beyond human intelligence. However, the definition of intelligence 140 below this sentence confuses me——

So, if a person's intelligence is between 99 and 140, how should we describe him?
Another similar problem is the definition of the limits of human power, like this one.

Does this mean that the human power cap is 139, or am I not understanding this correctly?
The second question is about the definition of temporary insanity. The original text clearly states:

In this paragraph, the conditions of its application have been clearly stated - results in a sane roll. According to its text, losing sanity points beyond that should not result in temporary insanity - they accumulate to one-fifth of the current sanity point, which in turn causes insanity indefinitely. However, the example on page 174 of Harvey's reading of the Book of Albon conflicts with the aforementioned condition.

In this example, Harvey undoubtedly lost more than 5 sanity points, but did not make a sanity roll - which shouldn't result in a temporary insanity. But also in examples, we see that Harvey does pass the intelligence roll and goes crazy, in a temporary state of insanity.
This confuses me. Is this example incorrect, or does the original definition of temporarily insane mean something like this?
Hope you can clear my doubts. Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2023 at 2:34 AM, Scotty said:

, stating that the human maximum is 99, meaning that numbers exceeding it are beyond human intelligence. However, the definition of intelligence 140 below this sentence confuses me——

Hello,

You are missing a bit of nuance in the rules.

Let's go over this; here is the page 37 section on INT from the 7th Ed.

Intelligence
0: No intellect, unable to comprehend the world around them.
15: Slow learner, able to undertake only the most basic
math, or read beginner-level books.
50: Average human intellect.
90: Quick-witted, probably able to comprehend multiple
languages or theorems.
99: Genius (Einstein, Da Vinci, Tesla, etc.). Human maximum.
140: Beyond human intellect (e.g. Elder Things, see
Chapter 14: Monsters, Beasts and Alien Gods).
210+: Monstrous intellect, able to comprehend and
operate in multiple dimensions (e.g. Great Cthulhu, see
Chapter 14: Monsters, Beasts and Alien Gods).

You will note the highlighted line that says that the maximum human INT is 99.  However, the rule book needs to refer to the nonhuman aliens and such of the Mythos.  They can and do have a capacity beyond the human.  Therefore all NPC and player characters can NOT have an INT beyond 99.  But they will encounter beings who do exceed that INT since they are NOT human.

I hope that helps.  Will check out more of your questions to see if I can offer further insights.

So, if a person's intelligence is between 99 and 140, how should we describe him?

Therefore no person - human being can have INT beyond 99.

In this paragraph, the conditions of its application have been clearly stated - results in a sane roll. According to its text, losing sanity points beyond that should not result in temporary insanity - they accumulate to one-fifth of the current sanity point, which in turn causes insanity indefinitely. However, the example on page 174 of Harvey's reading of the Book of Albon conflicts with the aforementioned condition.

In this example, Harvey undoubtedly lost more than 5 sanity points, but did not make a sanity roll - which shouldn't result in a temporary insanity. But also in examples, we see that Harvey does pass the intelligence roll and goes crazy, in a temporary state of insanity.
This confuses me. Is this example incorrect, or does the original definition of temporarily insane mean something like this?
Hope you can clear my doubts. Thanks for reading.

To help understand what is going on in that example, I have copied the text below from page 174 of the 7th edition of the Keepers rulebook for C of C

As the book is a flawed and incomplete translation, the reading roll is set to Hard difficulty level. Harvey’s player makes the roll and is rewarded with +3% Cthulhu Mythos knowledge (the Cthulhu Mythos Initial—CMI number for the tome) and reduces Harvey’s maximum Sanity points by a corresponding amount. The player is also informed of a number of spells contained within the book. She then rolls 2D4 and Harvey loses 6 Sanity points. This is more that the five points required to trigger
temporary insanity, should Harvey’s player pass an Intelligence roll, which she does.

The important thing to note is the rules concerning reading a Mythos text. On that same page 174, it states that 

Once the investigator has made an initial reading, the Keeper should reward them with the initial reading (CMI) number. The reader now automatically loses the Sanity cost of the tome (no Sanity roll is made)—

Note that a successful reading roll of a text, which Harvey did make, and thus:  "Harvey's player makes the roll and is rewarded..." Harvey gains knowledge from his reading of the book.  However, the rule for reading a Mythos text now takes effect.  Which is that the reader "automatically loses the Sanity cost of the tome (NO Sanity roll is made!"  This is why the character did have a bout of temporary insanity since the character lost 6 Sanity points according to the Keeper's roll.  

The general game rule within C of C, as laid down by Lovecraft's writings, is that knowledge of the Mythos is dangerous to your sanity.  The more you know, the more likely that knowledge will drive you insane, either temporarily or permanently.  This is why the description of the events in the play of the game resulted in Harvey's character suffering from temporary insanity.  The character acquired Mythos knowledge from reading the text and suffered the automatic sanity loss that such an act incurs.

I hope I have helped to clarify things for you. 

(Assuming that I have correctly described the working of the rules! If I have not correctly described the rules - please, someone pipe in!)