Can I use the Call of Cthulhu font for my fanfiction book cover?

l_stowe

Hi there, 

Sorry if this has been asked many times before. I've checked the Fan-Use page but I couldn't see an answer.

I've written a short story inspired by the work of Lovecraft, which I would like to share with others on places like Wattpad, but I need to make a cover image. I'd like to show is set in the CoC setting so I wondered if I could use the font so that people know what to expect, if they know the font. Would this be possible? 

Thanks in advance

Luke

8 hours ago, Bill Mize said:

I don't know what the actual font they use is, nor the license, or anything legal like that, but there are fonts out there that come close to the Call of Cthulhu look.

Look at Beaumarchais Regular and Columbus Regular.

- Bill

Thanks Bill. I assumed that too, but I wanted to check before I trod on anyone's toes.

Hi

On 9/12/2023 at 9:51 PM, l_stowe said:

I've written a short story inspired by the work of Lovecraft, which I would like to share with others on places like Wattpad, but I need to make a cover image. I'd like to show is set in the CoC setting so I wondered if I could use the font so that people know what to expect, if they know the font. Would this be possible? 

Per the Fan Material Policy:

Restrictions:

3b You cannot emulate Chaosium or Moon Design Publications “trade dress”, including page templates, art styles or fonts.

So as you stated I wondered if I could use the font so that people know what to expect, if they know the font. So sorry that's not possible as you're emulating trade dress.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 9:38 AM, Scotty said:

Hi

Per the Fan Material Policy:

Restrictions:

3b You cannot emulate Chaosium or Moon Design Publications “trade dress”, including page templates, art styles or fonts.

So as you stated I wondered if I could use the font so that people know what to expect, if they know the font. So sorry that's not possible as you're emulating trade dress.

Doh, I probably should have searched the document for the word font. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Luke