The mystery of the Moon Beasts: Why is their entry missing from so many of the 7th Ed. rulebooks?

Gray Raven

After successfully making my Libary Skill roll, I uncovered this set of dark deeds that has been cast upon our Mythos texts!  Has some dreadful demonic spell been cast to keep hidden knowledge from us, the collective investigators, into the shadowy realm of the Mythos?  Is this spell blinding all Keepers from acquiring the needed arcane knowledge?  

Horrors!  Girding my loins and adjusting my spectacles, I, with great trepidation, delved into my arcane library to reveal the hidden horrible truth!

In the Fifth Edition, 2004, of the Dreamland rules, the Moon Beasts are briefly mentioned on page 114: 

Lesser Independent Race The moonbeasts are an alien race inhabiting the Dreamlands’ moon. They serve Nyarlathotep for his favor and enslave other races. They ride great black galleys through the Dreamlands skies. Many of their soldiers are members of various slave races. The moonbeasts have particularly strong ties with the cats of Saturn and the men of Leng. See Call of Cthulhu for a complete description.

This is the exact same entry found in my older 1997 Fourth Edition of the Dreamland rule book.

Then when I turned to the Seventh Edition, 2020, of the Call of Cthulhu: Keeper Rulebook and turned to the Mythos monster section, behold!  No listing for Moon Beasts is found therein!

Now, in my 1994 Call of Cthulhu: Horror Roleplaying in the Worlds of H. P. Lovecraft, Edition 5.1.2, on page 114 is found a listing for Moon-Beasts.

When I turn to the Malleus Monstrorum Volume I: Monsters of the Mythos, 2020, behold!  No listing is offered for Moon Beasts!

In my S. Petersen's Field Guide to Cthulhu Monsters, 1988 Edition, there is an entry for Moon Beasts on pages 44-45.  In the 2015 Edition of Petersen's Field Guide, pages 114 - 115, therein yet again is found an entry for Moon Beasts.

The trouble with all this is that it seems to me, after making my Sanity and KNOW roll, that information concerning these creatures should have been in:

1) Dreamland rules

2) Failing that in the C of C Keeper Guide as stated in the Dreamland rulebook.

What arcane magick has hidden this entry???  What diabolic spell had been cast to hide an entry for these creatures from the Malleus Monstronum text?

Or is all this just a scribal error?   If so, someone needs to take those scribes out to the proverbial backshed and deal with them in an appropriate manner.

🤪

Edited by Gray Raven

• Gray Raven changed the title to The mystery of the Moon Beasts: Why is their entry missing from so many of the 7th Ed. rulebooks?

The book you are looking for is Cthulhu Through The Ages.

I've been on the same trip as you have. A friend helped me so I'm paying the favour forward.

There were no Dreamlands monsters in Malleus Monstrorum 7e, so I'm betting they will be in the forthcoming 7e Dreamlands book.

Adam Crossingham
Publisher & Editor-in-Chief | Sixtystone Press Limited