For anyone who wants to go deeper into hunters, esp Odayla.

I'm finding some great insights into hunting generally, and bear hunts particularly, in this. It's also helping me understand the Kalevala.

The Forestland’s Guests

Mythical Landscapes, Personhood, and Gender in the Finno-Karelian Bear Ceremonialism

Vesa Matteo Piludu

It's a PHD paper on Academia (free) so things like the lit review are very dry, but the rest is quite readable. The focus is on the ritual interactions between village, hunters, bears, and the forest/forest spirits.
EDIT

https://www.academia.edu/67794203/The_Forestland_s_Guests_Mythical_Landscapes_Personhood_and_Gender_in_the_Finno_Karelian_Bear_Ceremonialism

Edited by Rob Darvall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

2 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

There were also other bear-hunting cults across Siberia, all the way to the Ainu and Matagi in Japan. It seems to have been something of a regional constant.

He mentions them as either contrast or support for his point, along with equivalent native american bear-hunting rituals. 

On 6/23/2024 at 10:17 AM, Rob Darvall said:

I'm finding some great insights into hunting generally, and bear hunts particularly, in this. It's also helping me understand the Kalevala.

The Forestland’s Guests

Mythical Landscapes, Personhood, and Gender in the Finno-Karelian Bear Ceremonialism

Vesa Matteo Piludu

It's a PHD paper on Academia (free) so things like the lit review are very dry, but the rest is quite readable. The focus is on the ritual interactions between village, hunters, bears, and the forest/forest spirits.
EDIT

https://www.academia.edu/67794203/The_Forestland_s_Guests_Mythical_Landscapes_Personhood_and_Gender_in_the_Finno_Karelian_Bear_Ceremonialism

Very interesting. In a similar form, this phenomenon was also present in bronze-iron age Estonian culture, but oral history of the tradition has been partially eroded/lost due to historical reasons.