Old Vampire Cave

Erol of Backford

No one has any idea what, if anything, dwells in this cave under the Two-Pine Ridge, but it is avoided by the local inhabitants as an evil and haunted place. Dragon Pass, p.67

Of course it's been explored 100's of times and nothing has been found there of any significance but did anyone really look closely?

So there is a small entry cave with a few rooms that may well have been a nice tomb for some long forgotten hero. Now there are maybe some trollkin hiding within or a few Telmori and their wolves hanging around as its somewhat safe due to the reputation.

But she is there, hidden away, feeling somewhat smug in her sense of security?

Isn't she beautiful?

Who is this Drelnza, where does she come from and what is her destiny?

And yes she gets along well with the local Telmori even if she needs to feed on one of them once in a while.

Could it be that she is a Larnste and is found on his table one moonlit night... she tells a PC her name after visiting them in their dreams over period of time but then she vanishes. Only with the help of Minaryth Purple in the Jonstown Library do they find mention of her, a Larnste Humakti... but wait, she was alive over 600 years ago. That can't be right?

image.png.7065efd0a95b0c340b1449f3ac68555c.png image.png.dd5ab8ee69283b87a55b13a7eb617caa.png image.png.e8ea80e38080154c89258ca73face086.png

I assume vampires see in the dark with the darkness rune?

Also if you are illuminated could you not be a Humakti and a vampire?

Of course YGWV.

I think I was a sophmore in high school when we stayed up all night to find her, my first all night gaming session with Greg (another Greg) and his older brother's friends... yes we had beer and lots of chips. We discovered Rune Quest a few weeks later and never went back...

I should have put this in Flashback Friday but she deserved her own thread.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Snugz said:

Nice idea to bring it back from the dead.

I was thinking the cave has been investigated so many times that unless there was something really difficult to find it'd have been plundered.

Not wanting to bring D&D into Gloranth but rather the idea that something more secretive was there still, hidden.

If there were say a Temori vampire of great beauty dwelling deep under the cave in some sort of complex it'd be fun. I really liked Judges Guild - Hellpits of Nightfang but its idea doesn't fit well in the Old Vampire Cave for me and is better used elsewhere? A Telmori would fit in this area nicely and snice the chaos of a vampire would be the same as say a Telmori, who'd suspect them? The whole wolf - werewolf thingy...

That is unless you just want to kill Telmori?!

If this beautiful female vampire, intellectual and illuminated, very civilized and not at all crazy... she could be a long term antagonist to any group of PC's. Maybe she tries to recruit one or more to be her companions?

Other vampires are just crazy from age and lack of companionship or so I am guessing.

I think the idea of Drelnza rather than the direct insertion of her would be interesting. The "false tomb" would be cover with some denizens and the real adventure would be tracking the vampire, 100's of years old to their lair...

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 1