Alternate Improvement System?

Captain_Sabatini

So I actually supported the IndieGoGo for OpenQuest 2 without knowing anything other than I love BRP systems, I know this isn't technically BRP but I did not know that at the time, and I just (this past weekend) read through the OpenQuest pdf I got and I was blown away. I really am impressed by the book especially since the guys I currently play with would not like something as heavy as BRP (appears to be).

However, one thing that I still like more about BRP is how skills advance, in fact that is one of my favorite parts about the system. I really like that your skills improve as you actually use them rather than you ding and get points. So I was hoping to incorporate that into my game. Has anyone done this? Does anyone know how I could keep the other parts of the system that also require improvement points such as learning spells, improving characteristics, or becoming a shaman?

Easy.

Instead of using improvement points, use the BRP rules for characteristic improvement (it always used to be train for a goodly while and then make an improvement roll, or tick POW everytime you have a MP vs MP conflict and win), and make spells and shamanhood a consequence of roleplaying not point buying.

OR.. if you like points, and come on, it's just not BRP now it is it.. then only give them out for spell/characteristic/shamanhood buying.

Frankly, I'd go with the former.

In my experience BRP fans split quite evenly over the experience system, and given we're a very tolerant lot, then feel free to use either.

An alternative would be to use the Status approach that Colin Brett discusses here:

The Gaming Tavern: Roleplaying and Literature • View topic - Turning Undead

It's for a D&D style game, but it does show how you can use Status as a mechanic for social progress.

Ditto the Factions rules in the Renaissance SRD:

Renaissance - D100 black powder SRD - Cakebread & Walton | RPGNow.com

Edited by tzunder
additions

Easy.

Instead of using improvement points, use the BRP rules for characteristic improvement (it always used to be train for a goodly while and then make an improvement roll, or tick POW everytime you have a MP vs MP conflict and win), and make spells and shamanhood a consequence of roleplaying not point buying.

I thought that would be the easiest solution I just fear that if one person decided to train to be a Shaman then everyone in the group would go for it because there would be no reason not to and you get some decent benefits (I have had some bad experiences with groups in the past). I don't think my current group would but I like the Shaman mechanic too much to let it become less special like that. It should be something a character works for not something a character picks up because there was going to be downtime for one training anyway.

An alternative would be to use the Status approach that Colin Brett discusses here:

The Gaming Tavern: Roleplaying and Literature • View topic - Turning Undead

It's for a D&D style game, but it does show how you can use Status as a mechanic for social progress.

That sounds like it could work but use the new relationship rules instead of status. Thanks for the links.

I might also actually sit down and play the game and give the rules as written a shot before trying to change anything. I know that it the advice one of my other favorite games gives to new people.

I too really like the idea of how the BRP improvement system functions, the idea that characters get better through actually using their skills.

But in practice I actualy much prefer OpenQuests version. I find the players desire to get ticks in skills encourages skill rolls that might not really be needed and adds more rolling after quests, lots of dice rolls that arn't really that important to the game play. I also find it can really restrict players fom taking the path they really want to follow.