[Tribe8/BRP] Eminences & Conjunctional Synthesis for BRP fantasy?

AikiGhost

This is a cross post from RPG.net....

So I was sitting about my house last night looking through my Stormbringer books in anticipation of the DBRP book thats coming out in the next few months and I was also thinking about the "fantasy worlds without magic" thread (that was going on on rpg.net). When I got to thinking about Tribe 8s Eminences & Conjunctional Synthesis systems.

I started to think about a fantasy world where in there were no gods or basic magic as such but instead everything was based around the concept of personal spirits or Eminences, and that great feats of magic could only be performed by using rituals to amplify ones personal Eminences or those of the environment around you (I was thinking of River spirits and Mountain Spirits etc.)

I was thinking that perhaps at character generation each PC could choose 2 tribe 8 style Eminences which they could use to augment actions with the spending of MPs to the tune of +5% per MP spent.

Those who chose to study "spirit magic" as a separate field could do externally affecting magics by summoning the Eminences of their surrounding environs to achieve effects.

I'm not sure of the details yet, but I think such a system could be the basis of an interesting and different fantasy world.

How would anyone in the Tribe 8/BRP crossover fanbase do it? Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

I was thinking that perhaps at character generation each PC could choose 2 tribe 8 style Eminence's which they could use to augment actions with the spending of MPs to the tune of +5% per MP spent.

Hmm: unlike the Tribe 8 / Silhouette version, this potentially allows a characters to dump a LOT of power points in to a fairly major effect: a typical character could easily afford to drop 8 power points, for a +40 augment... I'm not saying it's a bad thing (or even out of scale with T8), but would one want to limit it?

I think if I were looking at a BRP conversion of T8 I'd be tempted to impose a maximum limit to augments, at least for non-dreamers characters - say may be 4 power points at a time (i.e. +4 to special chance, + 1 to critical chance), or no more than POW / 4 perhaps.

Those who chose to study "spirit magic" as a separate field could do externally affecting magics by summoning the Eminences of their surrounding environs to achieve effects.

And I'd raise the caps on augments - so whilst a non-Shaman could augment some what, a Shaman could really turn on the juice, as it were...

I'm not sure of the details yet, but I think such a system could be the basis of an interesting and different fantasy world.

What might be useful is, despite the ideas roots in T8, to try and divest the ideas of their T8 terminology - whilst I'd love to see a T8/BRP conversion, I think you are right and there are more interesting and original things that can be explored from here...

How would anyone in the Tribe 8/BRP crossover fanbase do it? Comments? Ideas? Suggestions?

Decide whether we're talking about a T8/BRP conversion (which would be cool!) or about shaping a new magic system / setting for BRP inspired by T8's Synthesis (which would also be cool!). ;)

Cheers,

Nick Middleton

Hi Nick, I think Id more likely be talking about a fantasy world inspired by Tribe 8 synthesis, rather than a wholesale T8 conversion.

Just to throw another element to the mix I also started thinking about Unknown armies Flip Flops. Perhaps instead of straight +5% per MP bonuses for the use of eminences perhaps the spending of a couple of MPs could allow a Flip Flop on as skill roll?

I don't really know, I'm just throwing sloppy ideas at the wall and seeing what sticks :D