cost of expedition and split of treasures

GamingGlen

I'm planning on running a Pulp Cthulhu adventure with an expedition deep into the Amazon jungle looking for a lost previous expedition, as well as looking for El Dorado, set in early 1920s.  My weak search-fu could not find any information on the cost of outfitting such an expedition and general split of anything brought back out.  How much does any investor(s) expect in percentage and how much do leaders and cohorts get (not the porters and bush beaters, or any other servant types)?

Is there a list of common gear?  I'm not keen on making such a list, but might use the "ship's locker" rule from Traveller (most any useful tool will be available), perhaps using Luck rolls for the not so common item that might be among the gear.

Edited by GamingGlen

You are looking at a fair amount of equipment: tents, camp bed with blankets/sleeping bag, mosquito net, oil lamps and lamp oil, camping stove and fuel, food, water, TP, firearms, ammo, medicine (like quinine for malaria, morphine for pain and injury, etc.), appropriate clothing and footwear, mounts, proper documentation  (passport, Visa,  health cards, letter of introduction, etc.) and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff...you're looking at a few hundreds, maybe even low thousands of dollars worth.

Yeah, I realize it's a long list.  I was hoping to find a few examples of actual overall cost of an expedition.  Perhaps that data might be in any of the numerous books written about historical expeditions that no one has copied to the 'net.  I just watched the semi-documentary movie Manhunt in the Jungle and saw how much stuff they carried so have some idea what it might take.   I'll just keep it nebulous and the usual gear will be available (some to get lost if a canoe overturns in a river, of course ::D  )

I finally picked up CoC 7 Investigator's Book and saw a list of items for 1920s.  

Keeping it abstract would be how I would do it.  Trail of Cthulhu's  Mythos Expeditions uses  a pool of supply points:  you could do something similar, say each supply point spent would  be worth 10% for a 'Equipment' roll.  Points for common items might be worth more. Points for  'special' items might be worth less.  Perhaps  you could ask for a daily 'average' survival roll;  a success means  no essentials supplies  were used that day (you're living off the land), and no supply points lost. A failure means  a loss of 1d6 supply points; a critical failure   means a loss of 1d10+2 supply points.

It really depends on how much book-keeping you're comfortable with I guess.

Edited by 1d8+DB
Corrected percentage
  • Like 1