Eternalcon 2018

I had the great pleasure of attending Eternalcon 2018 over the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. Normally, I hate doing nothing at Cons, as I think it is time wasted, especially when flying to Germany, but spent most of Saturday morning/afternoon just taking in the sun on the terrace, overlooking the Rhine, relaxing, sometimes talking, sometimes just takling in the atmosphere. I might be finally understanding what Eternalcon is about.

Anyway, here are my thoughts in Good/Bad/Ugly mode, which I am reliably informed is an old-fashioned way of doing this kind of thing, but that suits dinosaurs like me. After all, I am apparently an Old Man ...

Good 

• Chaosium seminar- some really good stuff, although we were asked not to blog any of it
  • Going for a walk on Saturday morning and seeing a deer
  • Wrote One Flew Over  the Dragon's Nest scenario for Continuum
  • Played some fun card games
  • Excellent discussions about HeroQuesting and new RuneQuest Glorantha
  • Played Dragon  Pass until 3am and almost thought I had a chance until a 4 point hydra stacked with the Travelling Stone and a Superhero munched through my stacks. Undone by Androgeus, Sir Ethilrist and The Hydra.
  • Got up at 8am, or just after, plenty of time for shower and breakfast before 10am Traveller game
  • Lots of steps - 17k on Friday and again on Saturday, 6k on Sunday but 33k on Monday 
  • Very interesting and fun Traveller game Sunday morning
  • Very enjoyable King Arthur hillfolk game  on Saturday afternoon, atmospheric and fun story generation game, gave me some ideas for HeroQuest
  • Thanked for writing Merrie England and said the Chaos Society wanted to translate it into German but couldn't 
  • RuneQuestions seminar, but nowhere near as useful as the Chaosium one
  • Closing ceremony where everyone wants to come back next year 
  • Made early train  at 0737 so plenty of time at the airport
  • Got back home by 2pm so could make my regular Monday night RuneQuest game

Bad

• Terrified of butting into a conversation and being rejected, so early to bed on Friday
  • Forgetting that sign up in in the Rittersaal and missing the English speaking games
  • Nothing to play Saturday morning or afternoon so a bit bored
  • Child vampires- Creepy as f**k
  • Offered to play One Flew Over the Dragon's Nest but nobody signed up
  • Not playing Gloranthan RuneQuest at all

Ugly

• Snoring convention in Room 141
  • Games advertised but not being run
  • Getting home to find the water was off due to repairs to the mains

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here