Melee and casting

flynnkd

p195... Defend normally and cast spells

p194... However, casting a spell such as Bladesharp...

This seems to be a contradiction, and possibly a hangover from the old rules. In Classic you could cast Bladesharp and attack, but in the new rules it sort of vacillates between the two. 

Gah was supposed to be in the corrections post, sorry.

Edited by flynnkd

The restriction is against attacking magically while also attacking in melee in the same round. So you can attack in melee in the same round as casting a spell, as long as it is not an attack spell. Since Bladesharp is not a magical attack, you can cast it while also attacking physically in the same round. You could not do this if the spell was Demoralize though.

Simon Hibbs

Edited by simonh

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

But thats not what the new rules say, they quite explicitly say 1) Attack and defend normally or 2) Defend normally and cast spells.

Yes the attack can be physical or magical, but it does not say Attack (mag or phys), cast non-attack spell and defend. 

I don't want to reference the implied, or understood, old rules and translate them into these rules. Surely they can say exactly what they mean, and 1&2 do not allow an attack and some other spell.  That would also imply that I can magically attack AND cast a non-attack spell, its the same logic (like throw disruption and a bladesharp on your sword).

I would prefer to think the bladesharp comment as a hangover, mainly because it is an exception to the rule and life would be easier without them.

It's another RQ2/RQ3 glitch, I think.

On RQ2 rules, engaged characters can not cast a spell and melee attack in the same round.
On RQ3 rules, they can do it.

RQG combat rules are based on RQ2 mostly (includes p.195), but some rules ignore this and are written on RQ3 contexts.

• Like 1

Ok, I think I get it. You’re quite right it is a little confusing, but I think the rules are actually consistent.

You can cast any spell at all in a round, then engage in combat and attack in the same round. It explicitly states this in bold on page 195. Therefore the example given I. The text on page 194 must be referring to someone doing this - casting bladesharp or fireblade while not in combat, engaging and then attacking. It just doesn’t spell that out explicitly.

So to recap, while engaged in combat you can only either attack and defend, or defend and cast spells. However you can cast a spell (which may be an attack spell), then later in the same round engage in combat, at which point the previous restrictions come into effect.

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

7 hours ago, simonh said:

So to recap, while engaged in combat you can only either attack and defend, or defend and cast spells. However you can cast a spell (which may be an attack spell), then later in the same round engage in combat, at which point the previous restrictions come into effect.

I'd rewrite slightly for clarity:

• If engaged in combat, you can defend and either attack or cast spells (not both)
  • If not engaged, you can cast a spell (attack or otherwise) and then engage and attack a foe physically

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason