Big Damn Book of Monsters to csv

anka

Hi, is there any some sort of Big Damn Book of monster translated to a CSV (or whatever)?

Im starting to sort all the data we use in our roleplaying table in a database (weapons, armor, items, etc) from brp 4th edition and other books (some from CoC, RQ, etc) to use in our games because im the GM and i have a very very very bad memory. I want to do the same with some monsters and that book is one of the best i know for random ones. So.., before start doing that long work im asking if someone alredy wrote that.

The idea its to make that, then use the recipes to generate some npc monsters on the fly using mongodb and node (if someone knows what im talking about). Im just starting, but i need to start with the data in some format.

thanks!

If it exists, I've never seen it. Sounds like a Herculean transcription effort, unless you could somehow build some kind of program to use OCR and strip out the data in some kind of systematic way. I'll watch this thread with keen interest.

The best I've managed is about half of the Magic World bestiary stats (which will be complete in another week or two) in javascript format for my NPC-builder, PDF-thingie. 

Ok, a little update for this weekend.

First, im not a dev, im just a game master with bad memory that work as sysadmin that can do little things, so all advice is welcome :D

Things that is already done:

• Database engine running with mongodb (i had the engine working for other things like armor or items, so was running)
  • Schema for monsters using BDBOM as source.
  • Web environment running with nodejs with the following packges:
    • Express (because i need a framework to work less)
    • Mongodb (driver to connect to database)
    • Monk (becasue i want to code less so this is usefull for me :P)
    • Pug (because i want to write less html. This was called Jade some time ago)

Then, after this, i wrote a little to mix all and do some little to have (i wrote to have, in near future) my "monster database CRUD" (Create, Read, Update, Delete). Im uploading the schema and packages im using (package.json). Yesterday night i was debugging an error in the app when the error was me writing wrong the url and getting a 404 error.

Maybe the next week i will start using github to publish all (because free software is good). For now im a little shy about my work because its just starting 😅.

To Do (in near future after this crud start working as i want):

• Data validation, im not doing anything to validate data (i trust on myself now.., and i hate to validate data)
  • Use Mocha to start tests.
  • I hate how the schema looks like, i will.., (no, suddenly when im writing this i know how i need to write the characteristics XD). Watever i will update this...
  • Some CSS (or maybe boostrap :P)
  • Authentication (now whoever can write or delete all, but now im just me)
  • Join this with my armor and wepons table (its in other mongodb)
  • Something im missing now...

Notes: about the files, are just txt, import that or copy and paste to json files. The package.json are to isntall if you wants to start doing all in same environment as im using (for now :P). Forget about the data in the json schema, was just data to built that schema and test the structure, and forget about the characteristics and average fields because i will rewrite that after this message.

For the schema you can use this site to see how the data structure looks like, for now. The screenshot is how its looking like the app from my side

Goodnight and keep tuned for next updates.

schema.txt

package.txt

atom.png

A little update after this post: skills and attacks will go to a separate  collection in a many to many desing so i could have a collection of skills and attacks with their respective values. No this is not yet wrote, i need to sleep :P

Edited by anka

7 hours ago, Nick J. said:

Interesting. Do you envision making this a publicly available, web-based front end, or will this be some sort of stand-alone application (or is this just for your own personal use)?

i could do both versions, three.

stand alone app, server and web client and service if i can use mongo cloud.