Critical attack damage to parrying weapon

Queegueg

I find the version where crits automatically take out weapon HP a bit too unforgiving. A dagger attack (with a normal STR modifier) could destroy a Broadsword in one hit? There goes all your sword enchantments...

I understood the rules as: normal hits above weapon HP deal 1 damage to the weapon/shield, special hits deals all damage over the weapon's HP directly to the weapon, and critical hits doubles this damage (note that it will likely deal more damage by just being a crit).

I feel like this makes more sense anyways, as it won't let short swords destroy an enchanted iron Broadsword in a single hit.

22 hours ago, gochie said:

I find the version where crits automatically take out weapon HP a bit too unforgiving. A dagger attack (with a normal STR modifier) could destroy a Broadsword in one hit? There goes all your sword enchantments...

You can find ways around this by assuming that a dagger critical doesn't look the same as an axe critical. We easily imaging an axe cutting through a broadsword thanks to a massive overhead swing. Dagger critical rely on finesse, not power. I would describe a clever feint by the dagger wielder causing the broadsword's tip to catch in the ground and snap from the wielder's own momentum.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EpicureanDM said:

You can find ways around this by assuming that a dagger critical doesn't look the same as an axe critical. We easily imaging an axe cutting through a broadsword thanks to a massive overhead swing. Dagger critical rely on finesse, not power. I would describe a clever feint by the dagger wielder causing the broadsword's tip to catch in the ground and snap from the wielder's own momentum.

That helps with the reasoning/realism of it, but it still remains very unforgiving in my opinion. Especially with armoring enchantment being seemingly MIA in RQG...

• Like 1