Further to the Tribal Edit thread for the GM screen pack

womble

Since the Tribal Edit thread is closed, there are a couple of things I've noticed that don't sit square with either other material, or how I think the world has been portrayed.

First, the Black Spear Wyter. Its description says "...The wyter is worshiped as part of the tribal Orlanth Rex ceremonies, which replenishes its Rune points." And yet the core rules and Bestiary (which I think are copy-pasta) state "...can cast any Rune spell...known by its priest...A wyter spends points of its characteristic POW instead of Rune points when casting Rune spells"

I'd guess that the Adventure Book is mistaken, since it doesn't make any big thing of this wyter having a particular special ability to manifest Rune Points when other wyters can't.

Second: the iron armour of the Rune Masters of the Colymar clan. I've only got as far as Leika and Asborn, and yet they've both got a full 10-ENC panoply of unenchanted Iron crippling their chances of casting their (considerable) magic. And yet Orlanth Priests can all learn Enchant Iron, and it takes just one POW to enchant 10 ENC. What gives? My perception* is that Rune Masters (especially famous ones of big old cults like these two) get their Enchanted Iron panoply supplied by the Cult. And even if the Cult only has the iron, surely it's better to be able to cast than not. Or is it the game design intention that elite individuals prefer the defensive dampening effect of unenchanted iron?

* Page 281 Core says

Large or old established cults generally have enchanted iron or other enchanted Rune metal weapons and armor...These cults typically provide a new Rune Lord with enchanted weapons and armor as part of their investiture ceremony.

Edit:

And now the Babeester Gor  and the Humakti are at it: Erannin Chan. She even knows Enchant Iron, and hasn't sealed her armour, so she's basically unable to cast. And Nameless the Humakti Rune Lord is again sporting a ton of Iron with no Enchantment.  I'm starting to think this is an intentional deviation from previous material. But why learn Enchant Iron and then not use it?

Edited by womble

I'm of the understanding that this was addressed elsewhere, and that those suits are supposed to be enchanted, not unenchanted iron. They wouldn't have the penalty, and it was just a mistake. I believe that has been addressed.

I'm not able to be helpful on the "Do wyters have RP?" question. Sorry!

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

4 hours ago, Crel said:

I'm of the understanding that this was addressed elsewhere, and that those suits are supposed to be enchanted, not unenchanted iron. They wouldn't have the penalty, and it was just a mistake. I believe that has been addressed.

I'm not able to be helpful on the "Do wyters have RP?" question. Sorry!

Thanks Crel. I thought it was probably erroneous, but the use of unenchanted iron was so consistent, I had to wonder.