Rare copy of Greg Stafford's WHITE BEAR RED MOON to be auctioned to support future RQ Cons in Australia

MOB

RuneQuest Con Down Under is returning to Australia on November 11! Greg Stafford was guest of honour at both previous RQ Con Down Unders, held in Melbourne, Australia, in 1996 and 1998. With the endorsement from Chaosium, the RPG Review Cooperative, organisers of RQ Con DU III are establishing a trust fund in Greg Stafford's memory to support future RQ Cons in Australia (and ensure there's not another 20 year gap between this one and the next).

The generous donation of a rare first edition of Greg's WHITE BEAR RED MOON will help establish the initial funds for the trust.

More details at the link: https://www.chaosium.com/blograre-copy-of-greg-staffords-white-bear-red-moon-to-be-auctioned-to-support-future-rq-cons-in-australia/

whitebearredmoon.jpg.973c1d6e74a10be2f128286e052b1959.jpg

Edited by MOB
  • Like 1

I hope I am wrong about this.

It's an amazing thing to do, to donate something so rare and valuable. I'm sure it will go for a lot of money.

But, "a lot of money" for an item like this is not "a lot of money" when it comes to running a gaming convention. I'm worried that the high price that this will fetch will be a drop in the ocean when it comes to the next con, and the one after that, or whatever the schedule is.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe it will go for such an astronomical price that it will make a real difference to the quality and survival of the down-under con. I hope so (although, that means that I won't win it, I didn't bid THAT high!)

I'm sure there will be secondary benefits. The publicity that this has brought, and the encouragement that it will give to others to be generous in their support of the con.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest, I had no idea that it was that rare. I thought it might be kinda-sorta rare. But when I realised how rare it was (800 copies produced in 1975, hand-stapled), that was the moment when I decided to donate it for future Cons.

And a moment after making the post I leaned back and thought: "What have I done?"

My next thought in response was: "Something that would have made Greg happy".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My Livejournal

Currently playing: RuneQuest 3e Questworld, HeroQuest Glorantha, Eclipse Phase, Megatraveller: Pirates of Drinax, Exalted: Journey to the Far West, Stormbringer,

Free, quarterly, RPG magazine: RPG Review