Conspicuous Consumption

Atgxtg

I've been wondering if we should start counting all the various purchases PKs make (armor, horses, clothing,  jewelry, etc.) as conspicuous consumption and thus award the PK glory. Up until now I consider the game benefits of better stuff to be it's own reward. 

I think treating it all as conspicuous consumption would help a bit to explain and justify knights buying fancier horses of special color, etc. rather than just the horse with the best damage. I also think it would help a lot for female characters and courtiers in general, as all those extra fancy suits of clothing would net the character more glory. So it would open up the door for wives to gain more glory by buying more dresses, getting their hair done and so forth. 

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I would definitely count fancy clothing and such as conspicuous consumption. Jewelry I would not, as that would count as treasure in my book instead, and it gives other bonuses than Glory instead.

I wouldn't treat 'basic' warhorses and armor as conspicuous consumption, but I would be happy to treat 'pimped up versions' as such, sure. If you get a charger that is nice and white for X multiplier, that extra money I would consider CC.

Or, alternatively, I could start giving Bling Glory. Each extra £1 you spend on Bling will give you +1 Glory per year. So if you parade around in your White Charger that cost you extra £40 and wearing a silvered armor costing extra £10, then I would give you 50 Glory per year for it. I mean, you deserve it, since you have a HUGE 'capture me!' sign on you during Battles. :P

Edited by Morien
  • Like 1

Let me clarify a little.

I am working on something for horses, specifically rules for training them, as well as something on the various types and breeds, and stuff for special horses. The idea is that a knight could buy an all white or all black horse or some such, or one with a higher STR or CON than normal and so on. All of which would drive up the price for the horse.

Now there is a site online that gives some annual glory for horses of unusual color, but I was thinking that if I just treated the price of the horse as conspicuous consumption it would probably work as well or better than an annual award, and help push knights into purchasing such mounts due to the glory they would receive. So something like an all white charger that cost 4x the normal price would also net the knight 40 glory. An all Back Destrier would be worth 132 glory (I know, but it also costs a fortune) and so on.  

I think this would encoruange PKs to buy more special horses as there would be glory in it. 

• Like 1

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.