Point-Based Character Creation and EDU

Ron Blessing

OK. I've made my introductions in the appropriate forum, so for my second post I have a question:

Within the Point-Based Character Creation sidebar (p. 19) it mentions adding EDU as an option, but I'm wondering if the base is still 10. Also, should the starting points still be 24?

It says, "the gamemaster should assign a value to EDU based on your character’s age (described in Step Eight on page 24) and background." But Step Eight doesn't mention character age at all.

Would someone be so kind as to clear this up for me? Thanks in advance!

Ron Blessing

Host of The Game's the Thing, a podcast about tabletop games

It says, "the gamemaster should assign a value to EDU based on your character’s age (described in Step Eight on page 24) and background." But Step Eight doesn't mention character age at all.

That reference is in error - it should be Step Three (p20) and Step Seven (p24).

That reference is in error - it should be Step Three (p20) and Step Seven (p24).

Thanks for the quick reply and clearing that part up, but I guess I'm still not understanding something. Are you saying that when using Point-Based Character Creation their base EDU should be Age-5? Am I understanding that right?

Still, that wouldn't answer the other part of my question, which is how does having EDU in the game affect the number of build points in Point-Based Character Creation?

Ron Blessing

I would start EDU at 10 (unless you are trying for a specific setting such as an academic setting, in which case GM Fiat would rule), but set the maximum for a starting character at age-5, otherwise you'll end up with quite a few over educated characters walking around. ;)

Then, EDU will feed into profession skills. EDUx20 for normal level games, EDUx25 for heroic, EDUx30 for epic, and EDUx40 for superhuman.

I would make EDU cost 3 points during character creation and bump the number of points to either 34 or 36 for a normal level campaign. Note: I haven't actually tested this, but it seems to be a good medium for getting characters that are reasonably educated without nerfing the characters too badly or creating ubermensches. If you're shooting for a higher than normal level campaign, increase the build points by 12 per campaign level as mentioned in the book.

I'm pretty sure other forum members will have much better suggestions.

Edited by cjbowser

Are you saying that when using Point-Based Character Creation their base EDU should be Age-5? Am I understanding that right?

No, you've got it backwards... Age-5 is the maximum EDU can be to start with, not the starting value for EDU.

The reason EDU didn't have a starting value suggested was to allow the GM to set it to an appropriate value for the campaign. That way, in a campaign where the GM says "You're all professors at M.I.T.", one of the players doesn't create a character with an EDU 7, or the converse where the PCs are all grade school kids and one of them rolls an 18 for EDU.

If you don't have a strong preference, then start it at 10 with the other characteristics.

Still, that wouldn't answer the other part of my question, which is how does having EDU in the game affect the number of build points in Point-Based Character Creation?

I'd make each EDU point cost 3 points and bump up the starting number of characteristic points by the following amounts:

• Normal - Increase starting points by 6 (letting players add +2 EDU without affecting the way other points are spent, making a generic person a high school graduate or the equivalent)
  • Heroic - Increase starting points by 12 (letting players add an average of +4 EDU, giving everyone a few years of college or the equivalent)
  • Epic - Increase starting points by 18 (or +6 EDU, a college graduate or thereabouts)
  • Superhuman - Increase starting points by 24 points (around +8 EDU, the equivalent of a M.A. or advanced degree)

Why aren't the extra point totals higher? The reason is that these points in EDU will double-dip, so to speak, adding more skill points. They also present the option of unbalancing starting point totals if they're not spent on EDU, so the GM should police how those points are spent.

No, you've got it backwards... Age-5 is the maximum EDU can be to start with, not the starting value for EDU.

The reason EDU didn't have a starting value suggested was to allow the GM to set it to an appropriate value for the campaign. That way, in a campaign where the GM says "You're all professors at M.I.T.", one of the players doesn't create a character with an EDU 7, or the converse where the PCs are all grade school kids and one of them rolls an 18 for EDU.

If you don't have a strong preference, then start it at 10 with the other characteristics.

I'd make each EDU point cost 3 points and bump up the starting number of characteristic points by the following amounts:

• Normal - Increase starting points by 6 (letting players add +2 EDU without affecting the way other points are spent, making a generic person a high school graduate or the equivalent)
  • Heroic - Increase starting points by 12 (letting players add an average of +4 EDU, giving everyone a few years of college or the equivalent)
  • Epic - Increase starting points by 18 (or +6 EDU, a college graduate or thereabouts)
  • Superhuman - Increase starting points by 24 points (around +8 EDU, the equivalent of a M.A. or advanced degree)

Why aren't the extra point totals higher? The reason is that these points in EDU will double-dip, so to speak, adding more skill points. They also present the option of unbalancing starting point totals if they're not spent on EDU, so the GM should police how those points are spent.

Jason, thanks for clearing all this up. Good info here. I see GM fiat being important with the EDU base level. I just wanted to make sure that 10 was a good starting point. And definitely thanks for clearing up the starting build points!

Ron Blessing

I kind of got the feeling the EDU score was something your GM assigns, More part of your characters back ground rather than one of his attributes as such.

For example if your group is a bunch of paranormal researchers from the local university. And one player is a professor The GM could assign a base 10 to the party but a +2 to the professor character.

I really like this approach. At the same time I think I would make the professor character use points gained from EDU towards skills that also fit into that background.

EDIT: oops didn't read the last two post above. My bad, :D