RIP Gahan Wilson (1930 -2019)

MOB

A1oZTqCuAfL.thumb.jpg.dc6a80c6a4578e37810e37ed6e54420f.jpg

RIP Gahan Wilson, who died today aged 89. During a long and illustrious career of weird and wonderful art, Gahan Wilson memorably created a number of works for Chaosium, including the cover of the Miskatonic University Graduate Kit (1989), and "Us" and "Them". 

Our condolences to his family, friends, and many fans around the world.

1472879799_USThemGahanWilson.png.5f34659b5080c5f8cbc186d4fb9f5e04.png

• Sad 1

Rest in peace, Mr Wilson and thank you ever so much for all the laughs (decades worth of laughs, I am sure I was 5 when I first saw his stuff in Mad and a few years later in Playboy). 

Well, his humour could have been called sick rather than funny so ...

My fave G Wilson cartoon of all time was from the 70s and featured a bunch of detectives gathered around a meat grinder still pouring out hamburger (way too much hamburger) from its maw, but where one feeds in the whole meat to be ground is a hand reaching out of the opening to hold the crank. The caption...

"Most determined case of suicide I've ever seen."

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

"Hot on the trail of Dagon, the shoggoths, and other Lovecraftian Horrors, the noted cartoonist (and intrepid TZ columnist) finds himself drawn into a labyrinth of secret caverns, sinister intruders, tentacled monstrosities — and a terrifying thing called the Insanity Table."

Many long-time Call of Cthulhu rpg devotees got their first taste of the mythos from Gahan Wilson's cover article in the Aug 1985 issue of Twilight Zone magazine. 

1653650149_GahanTwilightZone.png.c4571a894f5eb80c91537d00c2cec249.png

• Like 1

Rest in peace, Wilson.

I have the Miskatonic U. kit, love it...and one of the earliest Wilson cartoons I ever saw is burned into my brain, it was from a Playboy issue (in the 80s?), it showed one weird creature chasing another, with two older women in the foreground, one saying to the other, 'it's just one damn thing after another.' Lol.

• Like 1