Old Supplements?

Jarulf

Idle speculation warning, not to be taken too seriously.

Does anyone think our chaotic friends in California are able (legally, never mind the economics) to re-print (or at least make PDFs of) older books from RQ or other games? They'd have to edit texts here and there of course but something similar to what they have done with Superworld (which I assume must have been owned by Chaosium all along) or RQ3.

Potential targets could be RQ Vikings and Land of Ninja, the first might work nicely with the upcoming Icelandic book.

If possible, what would we like to see? :-)

Potential targets could be RQ Vikings and Land of Ninja, the first might work nicely with the upcoming Icelandic book.

If possible, what would we like to see? :-)

Given that AH / Hasbro told Chaosium that the RQIII Copyright had reverted back to them, I've never understood why this didn't include the Viking and LoN packs, but given that Chaosium have never even hinted at releasing them we have to assume that they don't think they have the rights.

Pretty much everything else I'd guess falls in the "too much work" caetgory, as it's licensed IP that would need not only OCRing, correcting and a new layout but also fine tooth comb editing to remove any refernces to copyright material Chaosium can no longer reference.

I suppose they could do Griffin Island - but that very clearly IS a derivative work of Griffin Mountain. Everything else is far to mired in IP they no longer have access to...

Mind, has anyone every actually just asked if they have the righs to LoN or Vikings?

Nick

...but given that Chaosium have never even hinted at releasing them we have to assume that they don't think they have the rights.

I think Vikings was copyrighted Chaosium from the start, not sure about LoN but presumably it'd be the same. I have no idea what the current situation might be though.

This just occured to me today for some reason, but with the core RQ3 books available again as PDFs it would be nice to see some of the supplements that actually used those rules (i.e magic) again. Possibly slightly updated.

A sort of BRP Classics line :) And, it wouldn't have to be only RQ, there might be books from other lines I suppose. Or part of them at least, the various Power systems have been mentioned in the past.

Pretty much everything else I'd guess falls in the "too much work" caetgory,

Which is why I mentioned Vikings and LoN, no Gloranthan or other IP content. Of course, since so much of what Chaosium has done in the past is based on others' IP, there may not be all that much they could re-use.

I suppose they could do Griffin Island - but that very clearly IS a derivative work of Griffin Mountain.

And GM is still available so that's probably something to avoid.

Mind, has anyone every actually just asked if they have the righs to LoN or Vikings?

Nick

Nope, I think I will though.