Astounding Adventures - Dynamo of Doom! report

Loïc

Second Astounding Adventure online last night. This time, I ran everything, including the voices, through Roll20: few bugs at first... we are really beginning 1 hour late!!!! I also used the playlist this time, and my players said this added a new dimension (1931 Frankenstein soundtrack particularly!).

I must confess I did hesitate to run this one. I mean I prefer Perils of Sumatra sub-genre of pulp: jungle adventure, lost temple, and so forth. Dynamo of Doom! is evil scientist  theme. But I thought I had to run this one, if only to offer several subgenres to my players. So I was quite surprised when they said they prefered this one! And they would like to alternate subgenres... Good! A good way to avoid routine!

So next step: until then, they were playing pregens. Now I just proposed them to keep their pregens or to create new characters, as they like. Either way, I will propose them some of the book's powers (I skipped them at first in order to focus the players on the discover of pulp genre). Not all of them, I think, just the Resources and some of the Gadgets (no rocket pack available here...). There will not be Super Powers available for players, because I would like to keep a realistic mood to this game (and there are some things I wish to save for my villains...). Maybe I will also propose a new Resource (activated through Action Points either to understand the purpose/operation of a weird device, or to design/build some weird device): Weird Science. Indeed, one of my players embodies an engineer/scientist and seemed to have a great time when he was trying to understand the working of the vilain's telecution helmet!!!!

So again, great time with 6 players last night! My advice: even if you prefer one of the subgenres, do not hesitate to run either themes, at least one time, and collect your players' feedbacks. As a GM, your job is to provide a good time to the players. And when you're well-aware of their preferences, you can melt themes at will according to them!

• Like 3

Glad You like this adventure! You are right, that this is a different flavor of Pulp genre, but also enjoyable as the Peril of Sumatra. Maybe we think that the pulp genre is jungle and temples because of Indiana Jones film? They are first what comes to mind when You say pulp. The last scenario in Astounding Adventures book is also different from predecessors, quite good too. 

As for rules variation, You should definitely check out Pulp Cthulhu rulebook, even if You do not want to run Cthulhuesque adventures, but what @MikeM does is brilliant! Why use Action Points, when You can use Your luck score for all cool pulp actions? Definitely check this out. Waiting for another scenario report! Good luck!
Edited by alter
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, alter said:

Glad You like this adventure! You are right, that this is a different flavor of Pulp genre, but also enjoyable as the Peril of Sumatra. Maybe we think that the pulp genre is jungle and temples because of Indiana Jones film? They are first what comes to mind when You say pulp. The last scenario I Astounding Adventures book is also different from predecessors, quite good too.

Yeah, Indiana Jones certainly has some responsability in that matter. And a few others: Tarzan, The Phantom... But I'm glad my players are receptive to various subgenres. Just as much pleasure!

And thanks for the Pulp Cthulhu advise, it's on my wishlist, and I'll check this as soon as possible!

• Like 1