PALADIN : The past. Glory clarification

Hi,

I created a character for paladin and I created his grandfather and father histories.

For some events (raids, siege and battle) I am not sure how many glory should be granted.

For simplicity, I ruled that raids and skirmish granted 25 glory, I never doubled it.

For siege, when in the event it's written "victorious" or "successful" I granted 100 and when written "unsuccessful" 50. 

For battle, when in the event it's written "victorious" or "successful" I granted 200 and when written "unsuccessful" 100. 

But for some events, the description, in the table, is not straightforward. In the following table, I put all my interpretation.

Could you share you own interpretation if yours differ from mine ? Thank you.

Year

Description

Type

Glory

He fought the rebellious Duke Odo of Aquitaine. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

In the year description it’s written “raids”.

(?) Raid

(?) 25

He fought in Saxony or Frisia. Roll on the Combat Survival Table. If grandfather survived, he gains 1d3 Hate [Saxons].

No help in description so I assume it’s raid.

(?) Raid

(?) 25

He participated in the first (undecided) battle against Gloriant of Saxony near the city of Vauclere. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table. If grandfather survived, he gains 1d3 Hate [Saxons].

Undecided so not victorius.

Battle

(?) 100

He fought at the battle of the Barbel Tower. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table. If grandfather survived, he gains 1d6 Hate [Saxons].

In the year description it’s written : “Berart of Mondidier and some other Frankish knights are sent into Saxony to help Garin and Doon. They arrive at the Barbel Tower to do battle with the Saxons, but they are defeated.”. So I assume that the grandfather was with Francks and so not victorious.

Battle

(?) 100

He fought with Charles Martel at the siege of Oridon. Roll on the Combat Survival Table.

In the year description it’s not clear if it was victorious. I assume undecided.

Siege

(?) 50

He fought with Charles Martel against Gerard of Roussillon at the interrupted battle, where he witnessed the divine burning of two battle standards. (50 Glory) Roll on the Combat Survival Table.

I assume undecided as the battle was interrupted.

Battle

(?) 100

With Charles Martel, he liberates Arles from the Moors after a long siege. Roll on the Combat Survival Table. If he survived, he gains 1d3 Hate [Moors].

“Liberate” sounds victorious for me.

Siege

(?) 100

He fought in the battle against Gerard of Roussillon. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

In the year description it’s written : “Gerard defeats Charles Martel in battle”. So it was not victorious.

Battle

(?) 100

He fought with the Lorrainers in the battle of Burgundy against the Moors. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table. If grandfather survived, he gains 1d3 Hate [Moors].

In the year description it’s written : “… the Lorrains engage in battle and crush their enemy.”. For me “crush” sound like “victorious”.

Battle

(?) 200

He participated in a battle in Bavaria. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

“In Pepin marches to Bavaria, defeats his half-brother …”. Sound like “victorious”.

Battle

(?) 200

He participated in a battle against the Saxons. Roll on the Combat Survival Table. If father survived, he gained 1d6 Hate [Saxons].

“They (Saxons) declare war on the Franks, but Pepin the Mayor kills the Saxon warchief, Justamont, in battle.”. So “victorious”

Battle

(?) 200

He fought at the battle of Mount Viburg. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table. If he survived, he gained 1d6 Hate [Saxons].

“Archbishop Hildegaire is killed at the battle of Mount Viburg.”. For me, that don’t sound like a victorious battle.

Battle

(?) 100

He fought against the allied forces of Carloman and King Aistulf. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

“Carloman of Burgundy rebels against his brother, Pepin, but is captured and imprisoned”. For me it’s a victorious battle.

(?) Battle

(?) 200

He fought at the siege of Pavia. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

“Pepin launches a second campaign against the Lombards, whom he defeats at the siege of Pavia”. Sound like “victorious”.

Siege

(?) 100

He defended the castle of La Roche against the two successive besieging armies. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table.

“Doon retires to La Roche castle, where he is besieged by Tomile and Malingre. King Pepin arrives with his troops and routs the besieging army. He then takes La Roche and banishes Doon and his nephew Geoffrey.”. Hum, the knight’s father was in Doon army ? That sound like as a defeat but I am really unsure.

Siege

(?) 50

He fought at Bishop Aubery’s side at the second siege of La Roche. Roll on the Combat Survival Table.

“Bishop Aubery leads an army to the Ardennes and reconquers La Roche.” I call “victorious” but I don’t get who won in 763.

Siege

(?) 100

He fought at the siege of Hautefeuille. Roll on the Combat Survival Table.

“Landri kills the treacherous Sir Grifo at the siege of Hautefeuille.”. It’s sound like “victorious”

Siege

(?) 100

He participated in the battle against the Saxon warlord Brohimax. Roll at –1 on the Combat Survival Table. If he survived, he gained 1d6 Hate [Saxons].

“Landri pursues the Saxons, kills Brohimax and frees Pepin”. “Victorious” again.

Battle

(?) 200

He fought in the army of Prince Charlemagne at the siege of Montpellier. Roll on the Combat Survival Table.

“On his way to Frankland, Maugis arrives at Montpellier, where his relative, Ernold, is being besieged by Prince Charlemagne. With Maugis’ help, they capture Ogier, but Maugis himself is taken prisoner by Charlemagne. Fortunately, Maugis’ cousin, Brendan, comes to his aid and in the end the Christians make peace and unite.”. I am not sure, I call a draw.

Siege

(?) 50

He participated in the siege of Aigremont against the pagans led by Vivien. Roll on the Combat Survival Table. If he survived, he was a witness at the baptism of Vivien and Esclarmonde. (25 Glory)

“Vivien captures his father Bevis, but is then defeated by his brother Maugis”. Sound like “victorious”.

Siege

(?) 100+25

Edited by Crabus

In the beginning it says: "Your father (born in 724) was also a notable knight, living
in the Ardennes and serving under King Pepin."

So in 763, he should have been on the victorious (King Pepin's) side.

Other than that, my quick interpretation matches yours.

Thank you for your reply.

Finally, I think that for 763, both outcomes are possible. The father can have fight with Doon or with Pepin. It can be interesting to ask to the player as Doon is still alive.

Because it is written :

On 4/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, Crabus said:

He defended the castle of La Roche against the two successive besieging armies

And the two armies are Tomile army and Pepin army, I think that the father loose with Doon.

But it's not a big deal. 

Edited by Crabus

• 2 months later...