Suggestions for making "balanced" fantasy races?

samwise7

I was just curious if anyone has any tips, or pointers for making fantasy races that are pretty well equal in power. I plan on making some non-standard fantasy races.

While my view of having the player character races pretty even in power isn't for everybody, it's kind of an issue with me, hehe.

I just like to make sure everyone is on an even playing field when they play a game. I don't like it when all the powergamers flock to a race/profession combination because it has the most power.

Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

http://samwise7.yolasite.com (Art, Blog, RPG Settings, YouTube, Etc.)

I am going to try to make a setting with lots of non-standard fantasy races.

I'll probably include these (though I need to translate them to BRP):

Burning Heaven: Race Worldbuilding

Some of these as well (I'm the Knight of Frost and the originator of the idea on those forums):

GASP World Building Forum - Index

And I may get around to translating some things for my Marth world, though it is more standard fantasy, and I'm a LOT burned out on that right now.

Marth Ice World D&D 3.5 & H.A.R.P. Setting

Yeah, I have a few projects, hehe.

"Everything important in RPGs happens the moment you stop holding onto the rulebook with both hands." -Jeff Rients

I just like to make sure everyone is on an even playing field when they play a game. I don't like it when all the powergamers flock to a race/profession combination because it has the most power.

It's that combination that is difficult to avoid. For example, to say 'starts with +2 POW, -2 STR and cannot put any of the 3 shiftable points in STR or take them out of POW' is balanced but is automatically going to lead to a magical race. Fine if you don't have a problem with the players of one type always going for one race but problematic if you do.

Therefore, I'd suggest going with quirkier differences that don't make a difference to profession choice but do make an in-game difference. For example, if a race is nocturnal it suffers no penalty to Spot at night but a -20% penalty in full daylight because it isn't used to the brightness. If you want a magical race, go for something like +2 POW but because they are fae and changeable they only gain 1 Allegiance point for every 2 they should get (if you are using Allegiance) - enough people will want to try for allegiance that not every magic user will be of the magical race.

I'd say, just work out how much you feel each race is worth in Skill Points, and deduct that many from the points available to spend in character creation.

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

For example, if a race is nocturnal it suffers no penalty to Spot at night but a -20% penalty in full daylight because it isn't used to the brightness.

I just want to point out the fallacy of this concept. Cats are by nature

nocturnal, and yet have extremely sharp eyesight during daylight as well.

edit - the above is misleading. Basically, the quality of a cat's eyesight does

not differ in daylight vs. night, it is based upon catching the faintest of

movements, and does it equally as well in any lighting condition except

absolute darkness.

Ian

Edited by vagabond

Treat every race like a superhero type.

Assume that every character, no matter what race, gets the same characteristic rolls.

Give every race a block of X character points to build super powers. Spend those on improved characteristics, bonus skills, "super powers", etc. and add any disadvantages or failings as appropriate.

Your best judgment will have to play a part, as well. Is a bonus of +2 POW equivalent to +2 APP in your game world? Is taking increased damage from cold iron more detrimental than the same damage but vs. holy weapons? Is a night-vision power balanced against resistance to disease, or a +20% in one skill?

Perfect balance, in most cases, is an elusive target. Without GM discretion, it's close to impossible. D&D 4th edition is one of the most carefully-balanced games on the market, but they've done so only by balancing every character in the same situation... encounter-style battles. Unless your game will consist primarily of those, game balance is going to have to be like spinning a plate on a stick on your nose... something you work at constantly and adjust continually to keep from spinning out of control.

It sounds like making all of the characteristic rolls as per the normal rules would be good, and put the racial differences elsewhere.

I like the Personality option, and perhaps making the Personalities more racialy aligned would be good.

Putting mutations or super powers into the mix might work as well.

The culture thing will be used as well.

Lots of fun stuff to think about.

I know complete balance isn't possible, but I would like to try. :)