Summoning Elementals

Redstone

If I cast a level 1 summon fire elemental, does that summon the fire elemental that is listed in the creatures section in the book?

When writing some additional summon spells for Classic Fantasy I realized that it seemed like there was information left out of the Conjure Elemental spell write-up as to just what each spell level accomplishes.

This is what I added in Classic Fantasy...

Note: The method of conjuring an elemental was inadvertently left out of Basic Roleplaying as it pertains to what each spell level actually accomplishes. For the purposes of Classic Fantasy, each spell level will conjure 3 SIZ points.

So, with the above system, it would take 6 spell levels to summon an elemental of the size listed in the creatures chapter, however smaller ones could be summoned for a reduced cost.

I submitted this to Jason almost a year ago for his opinion and he gave it his blessing. So thats all I can really tell you.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

"D100 - Exactly 5 times better than D20"

I had assumed, given that it is a spell which only lasts for 10 combat rounds, that more levels simply gave you longer quality time with an elemental of your choice and that a level 1 version did, indeed, summon an elemental as described in the core book.

Given that magic - unlike sorcery - is not automatically successful but is generally pretty powerful if you can get it right this didn't seem overpowered to me. Then again, I have never playtested it so it might be.

1 level per 3 siz is consistent with other spells. Thanks.

I have seen mention of your Classic Fantasy in other threads. When do you expect it to be out?

Not sure, it has been turned in to Chaosium for layout and they said they wouldnt be able to get to it before the fall. That dosn't mean of course that they will get to it in the fall, just not before.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Join my Mythras/RuneQuest 6: Classic Fantasy Yahoo Group at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/RQCF/info

I had assumed, given that it is a spell which only lasts for 10 combat rounds, that more levels simply gave you longer quality time with an elemental of your choice and that a level 1 version did, indeed, summon an elemental as described in the core book.

Given that magic - unlike sorcery - is not automatically successful but is generally pretty powerful if you can get it right this didn't seem overpowered to me. Then again, I have never playtested it so it might be.

We went with 10 rounds per spell level during playtest and found that most combats last far less that that (for us anyway). Therefor 1 power point for something that could last an entire combat and do a fair amount of damage, is invulnerable to normal attacks, can cast the Flame spell (in the case of a fire elemental) and possesses other powers as well seemed too generous.

Rod

Edited by threedeesix

Put like that it does seem absurd. :ohwell:

Personally I'd have probably changed it to 1 combat round per level instead, but the 3 SIZ thing limits it well.

I had given that some thought too, but I use the spell to conjure other types of elementals as well, with their general power based on SIZ, so this allowed the same spell to be used to summon everything from tiny little elementals to elemental lords.

But that being said, I am going to try to get in a last minute change, when and if they contact me based on what you said earlier. I want it to now read...

Note: The method of conjuring an elemental was inadvertently left out of Basic Roleplaying as it pertains to what each spell level actually accomplishes. For the purposes of Classic Fantasy, each spell level will conjure 3 SIZ points, or extend the duration another 10 combat rounds.

Rod