Map of Sun County

Nick Brooke

So here's a thing I helped MOB create recently: a remastered, high-res version of Dave Dobyski's classic map from RQ3 "Sun County" (1992), now available in dozens of highly practical formats from Chaosium's Redbubble store.

Sun County 1.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Kudos to @Nick Brooke for bringing this almost 30 year old map back to glorious, radiant light!

And kudos to the much maligned (including by me) Dave Dobyski for the original cartography. It was his misfortune to have been hired as a graphic artist - something his work in Sun County and other products shows he was perfectly capable at - but then forced by Avalon Hill to do the interior art for a lot of the RQ3 books, which he demonstrably was not.

Fortunately, by showing off some Gloranthan concept art by actually competent artists, particularly Mark Baldwin, I got an assurance from Avalon Hill that Dave D would be kept well away from doing any actual art in Sun County. And then, even better, Ken Rolston came on board as Rune Czar, agreed 100%, and made sure that happened.

[As Mark B's concept art didn't end up in Avalon Hill's final published version of Sun County, it's a delight that his illustrations now grace in the newest iteration of Sun County adventures, Jonathan Webb's 'Sandheart' series - please do take a look over in the Jonstown Compendium.]

• Like 4

Someone asked nicely over on Facebook, so I'll share it here as well: here's a 150 DPI version of the map of Sun County.

(The master version used by RedBubble has about 6 times the resolution: if you want a pretty poster map, don't use this!)

Remember: if you want to use any of Chaosium's maps (including this one!) in your own Jonstown Compendium projects, always ask them for permission first - and have a "Plan B" ready (e.g. re-drawing it yourself) in case they say no.

Sun County - 150 DPI.png

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Someone asked nicely over on Facebook, so I'll share it here as well: here's a 150 DPI version of the map of Sun County.

(The master version used by RedBubble has about 6 times the resolution: if you want a pretty poster map, don't use this!)

Remember: if you want to use any of Chaosium's maps (including this one!) in your own Jonstown Compendium projects, always ask them for permission first - and have a "Plan B" ready (e.g. re-drawing it yourself) in case they say no.

Thanks Nick. The exception to the "ask first" rule about the maps is the Argan Argar Atlas. That has been made available for free, and Jonstown Compendium creators can use and modify those maps (e.g. add new locations, or a trail, or X marks the spot or whatever) in their own creations without further permission needed. 

Edited by MOB
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, MOB said:

And kudos to the much maligned (including by me) Dave Dobyski for the original cartography.

Cheers to Dave and the work he did best.  Thanks to you all for rolling this out again!  It feels like taking a walk through my favorite old apartment from my 20s.

!i!

• Like 3

carbon copy logo smallest.jpg  ...developer of White Rabbit Green