Using keywords in Runequest

StephenMcG

I have been running a fusion RQ2/HQ game for my group.  I intend to fold in the things I like about RQG.

When I was (originally) creating character sheets I got creative and allocated the skills of the characters into keywords that described the characters - so one character had Rubble Runner, Citizen of the Real City and Follower of Flintnail (yes, he was a dwarf).

I wanted the keywords to provide a baseline for skill level there and to permit players to come up with relevant colour skills (like Rubble legends and Tales of Dwarven Heroes) that could appear within the keyword and be advanced normally.  I describe the key words as Fair (15%), Good (30%), Very Good (50%) Excellent (70%) Renowned (90%) and Heroic (120%).  If six skills within a Very Good keyword get advanced to 70% then the keyword advances to Excellent and all skills in the keyword are now 70%.  This also works reasonably well in making the HQ and RQ sheets look reasonably similar.

We do not get to play often and this serves well as a way of advancement for the group.  We do an adventure or two and then skip to the next season in the year.  It is giving the campaign a real sense of narrative flow and things happening in the wider world as I tell them news that is reaching Pavis about the Lunar invasion of Sartar and various other events.

It seems to have worked so far as the PCs are mostly on Very Good and Excellent keywords.  Was wondering if anyone here has tried anything similar with the keywords and if there is anything I should be wary of?

Stephen

• Like 2

I use Keywords for NPCs, so a guard might just have Guard 60%, but might also have Humakti 70% or Stupid 90%. Anything guard-like comes under that instead of having to have many skills.

It should work OK for PCs as well. You might use some Breakouts for important features, or you could just have skills to identify things the PCs can do well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here